Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag LA412 Washer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

It'll Spin without water, but it won't Agitate untill the Water Level Switch is satisfied.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:budweiser beer

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Makes sooooo much sense. Thanks so much for the info :thumbsup:

Edited by frankr, 16 April 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#23 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Saturday afternoon update......Okay. Got the drive pulley off so I could do some clean up and re-lube then found what appears to be a peice of gasket material between the bottom of the washer base and inside where shaft exits. Does anyone have an idea what this is and should I be very concerned about it?

Attached Files

#24 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

Looks like the damper pads might be worn (see link) - would like to see the pictures of the painted water valves

Posted Image

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#25 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Stupid me...I used too high a resolution on the digi cam so the files are too big to upload. Good news! My washer is running through its cycles right now. Agitation is fine and so is the spin. Waiting for rinse cycle to start. Gotta post in the manual request forum. Think you added a response. I'm gonna need to find out what jammed the drive up in the first place. I'll look into the damper pads. The photo shows it's ripped so maybe is was twisted around the shaft but came loose at some point when I was manually turning the drive pulley over the past couple of days.

I want to thank all who provided advise. It was greatly appreciated. Now I can sit back for a while , have a brew, play with my grandkids and stop listening to the wife asking, "When can I wash cloths?".:party:

Here's the water supply pipes and valves replaced. If you look close enough you'll see the ground clamp. And yes, the ground clamp was attached to the painted supply pipe before I did the repair. Totally usless ground to say the least. If I can figure out how to reduce the size of the before photos I'll add them at a later date.

Attached Files

#26 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Totally usless ground to say the least.

Am I missing something, looks like a good ground to me - other than the fact it is an aluminum conductor (against code here/as is galvanized pipe - copper or plastic here)

Those belts will wear over years naturally, but there may be some merit to the sock between the tubs suggestion, if you tipped the machine over the sock could have rolled out of harms way - for now ......

Best bet is to run it and see what happens before ya go messin with the dampers as that is quite a venture and usually produces noise and vibration issues.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#27 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

Unfortunately I can't upload the before photos of how the ground was. The machine was grounded to painted water pipes so there could be no ground. And aluminum ground is against code here in Illinois too. I'm going to change it out to meet code this week but wanted something rather than nothing for now.

As far as running it....Wife put small load in and everything ran fine. Second medium size load in now and all is still well. Maybe it was a sock or something binding between tub and top cover but didn't find anything stray so going to keep watching it for now. Still would like to replace the dampter pads since the machine was bought with this fix-er-up house of mine and who knows what kind of abuse or lack of maintenance its had. Could the damper pad cause vibration if worn over time? Occasionally notice some vibration during the spin cycle and I have leveled the machine.

#28 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'll close this for now. All is well. The machine has been running through its cycles for two days without issue, however, still need to learn why the drive seized causing the drive belt to break. And yes KDOG, I did read your post about belts wearing out over time; Very much appreciate your advice and input. Just need to figure out what happened after the main drive belt gave out and the drive pulley and tranny siezed. Uncanny and baffing.

After re-leveling washer again.....no vibration. To all who find this site. Donate and become an apprentice. You will not be disappointed. TO ALL THE MASTERS....THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH......I have skills I hope to add and will always support this forum. You've been a life, and pocket book, saver.

BTW...When I replace the water supply pipes and valves I replaced the water supply hoses. Just made perfect sense to do that.

#29 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

:rocker:

#30 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:44 AM

... All is well. The machine has been running through its cycles for two days without issue

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics