Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

GisMagik

Maytag Performa Dryer

29 posts in this topic

That sleepy old Maytag man can rot under piles and piles of laundry !!

This dryer is driving me nuts!

Can you, someone, anyone, tell me if what I have pictured here is the thermal fuse.  I am assuming that it is the black circle looking object that has the white wires attached to it?  If it is, how do I convince this mighty fuse to part with the wires?

If I were rich....OK....I'd settle for lower middle class....I so hire someone else, but sadly we are po and can not afford this option.  Therefore, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

post-2661-129045087506_thumb.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

It would be much easier to gain access to the thermal fuse, (Yes, that is the thermal fuse that you found), if you remove the heater element first. Just remove that one screw and the element will come out pretty easily then you can pop the little bracket that holds the thermal fuse off to gain access.

Just push a straight screwdriver blade between terminal edge and top of thermal fuse to pry connectors loose.

If you don't have a meter to check this thermal fuse you could just connect the two wires together temporarily to test and see if the dryer will run. If it does then you know you've found your problem and need to replace the Hi-limit safety/Thermal fuse kit.

Outstanding site.  I have the same dryer and used all of the troubelshooting techniques you described and narrowed my problem down to that fuse.  Thank you very much.

I see that the last post was some time ago, so i wanted to add mine, just to let you know that i used all of the information above and if i had the time, i'd add the sound of my dryer running to this post. thanks for all of the help, this site saved me money and a lot of headache. it's a minimum of $45 for a tech to come out and look at the dryer and it was a Saturday morning.

the main thing is this: I was able to fix the dryer myself, it only cost me $25 for the parts and my wife is happy. if she's happy, i'm happy.

now i'm off to smoke some ribs and knock back some drinks with the boys:gulp:, not running back and forth to someone's house or the laundromat.

this site is awesome!