Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Performa Dryer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 GisMagik

GisMagik

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:01 AM

ALrighy, I think you may be right, we were probably lloking at the hiLimit.  So here is what I'm looking at, if this isn't it, could you explain were I might find the thermal fuse?

Thanks

signed

just a poor housewife!

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:28 AM

It will look similar to what you have photoed but smaller. It will probably have at least one white wire on it and it will be to the right and down about inches down mounted to a bracket. It should read closed at all times. Now you state your electrician stated the outlet was good. Has anyone removed the metal plate off the back of the unit and inspected the lines coming into the unit? If they haven't. check there for burnt wires as well.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#23 GisMagik

GisMagik

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

No burnt wires, I haven't had the time to tear the inards yet.  I'm thinking I'll need to remove the drum to look for the fuse.  I am not looking forward to this. 

I am beginning to think a new dryer or paying a samurai to fix this is gonna be a better idea!!

I am not a happy Maytag customer!!!:fingerwag:

#24 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

The thermofuse is right under the heating element, will be black plastic.  If it is dead it kills the whole dryer.   Just remove the element to get to the fuse, you can see it with the element in place, just look down to the left from the right side of the element.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#25 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

Do not give up!! You are right there. The thermal fuse is just out of the picture you sent in. To access the heater, remove the bracket that the hi limit mounts to and let it hang off to one side. Your heater can then be removed by taking out the one screw on the right hand side that mounts to the beater bracket. This makes accessing the Thermal fuse easier. Another comment if I may. Thermal fuses blow for a number of reasons, your belt breaking as stated in earlier posts can do it because the air flow stops and the heater stays on which will blow it. Another thing is improper venting. Looking at all the lint around the heater and back edge of the dryer, you might want to have it cleaned and make sure it is as instructed per your install book.    
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#26 GisMagik

GisMagik

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

That sleepy old Maytag man can rot under piles and piles of laundry !!

This dryer is driving me nuts!

Can you, someone, anyone, tell me if what I have pictured here is the thermal fuse.  I am assuming that it is the black circle looking object that has the white wires attached to it?  If it is, how do I convince this mighty fuse to part with the wires?

If I were rich....OK....I'd settle for lower middle class....I so hire someone else, but sadly we are po and can not afford this option.  Therefore, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

#27 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:25 AM

It would be much easier to gain access to the thermal fuse, (Yes, that is the thermal fuse that you found), if you remove the heater element first. Just remove that one screw and the element will come out pretty easily then you can pop the little bracket that holds the thermal fuse off to gain access.

Just push a straight screwdriver blade between terminal edge and top of thermal fuse to pry connectors loose.

If you don't have a meter to check this thermal fuse you could just connect the two wires together temporarily to test and see if the dryer will run. If it does then you know you've found your problem and need to replace the Hi-limit safety/Thermal fuse kit.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#28 g5ace

g5ace

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

Outstanding site.  I have the same dryer and used all of the troubelshooting techniques you described and narrowed my problem down to that fuse.  Thank you very much.

#29 JTROUBLE25

JTROUBLE25

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:42 AM

I see that the last post was some time ago, so i wanted to add mine, just to let you know that i used all of the information above and if i had the time, i'd add the sound of my dryer running to this post. thanks for all of the help, this site saved me money and a lot of headache. it's a minimum of $45 for a tech to come out and look at the dryer and it was a Saturday morning.

the main thing is this: I was able to fix the dryer myself, it only cost me $25 for the parts and my wife is happy. if she's happy, i'm happy.

now i'm off to smoke some ribs and knock back some drinks with the boys:gulp:, not running back and forth to someone's house or the laundromat.

this site is awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics