Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2487H** Drain Pump: Good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AZ Scott

AZ Scott

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Whatever's cold

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hey All,

We're having a drain issue with our 4-year-old LG WM2487 front loader. If fills, washes, and spins, but simply won't drain any water. The problem came on suddenly. We did one load and everything was normal, but on the very next load we noticed a massive build-up of suds during the rinse cycle and we finally realized it didn't drain the wash water out.

Using the Samurai's excellent instructions listed elsewhere on the site, I was able to access the insides of the machine to check everything out...

So far I've ruled out:

- Clogged drain pipe... When I uncork the small drain hose in the front of the machine it flows, and if I remove the trap, plenty of water comes pouring out, so there doesn't seem to be a sock or anything blocking that area.

- Clogged exit hose... The entire drain hose is clear, and flows into a modern receptacle in the wall.

- Debris caught in the trap... No debris in the trap and no obstruction in the impeller area.

- Loose wire connectors... The connectors on the drain pump motor are nice and snug, and everything looks clean and dry.

- Bad water-level sensor... When the machine was full of water, the door stayed locked, but after draining some water manually it unlocked. I assume that means the sensor is operating properly.

Which brings me to the pump motor:

I pulled the entire drain/pump assembly out of the machine, and removed the drain pump motor. The impeller on the drain motor moves freely, and you can feel the magnetic pull of the rotor stopping the impeller each revolution. I hooked the motor up to A/C power on my bench, and the motor seems to spin freely and quietly.

One oddity I noticed (at least to my amateur eyes) is that when I pulled the magnetic rotor out of the motor housing, there was some nasty, grey, liquidy goop in there. Maybe a tablespoon's worth. It's gritty and watery, and smells like fish oil. I assume there should be some kind of grease or other lubricant in that area, but I don't know enough about electric motors to know what it should look like. As it sits in the open air, it's drying out, so there certainly seems to have been water in there that's evaporating.

Does this sound normal?

If so, and the motor is fine, then I'm kind of at a loss as to what's wrong. Could it be just a control box issue, and the motor isn't getting the proper signal? With a very basic knowledge of electronics, is there a way for me to test it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

<<<fills, washes, and spins, but simply won't drain any water.>>>

Was an "OE" error displayed?

<<<on the very next load we noticed a massive build-up of suds during the rinse cycle>>>

An "LE" error can be triggered by heavy suds.

Use only "HE" low-suds detergent.

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

<<<The entire drain hose is clear>>>

I remove the DRAIN HOSE at the Pump Housing & wrap a rag around it. Poke a hole in the rag. Blow thru the hose.

If there's a restriction/blockage---it'll be at the "U" shaped connector located at the left corner of the washer (if standing in front of the washer). This "U" connector---which is part of the DRAIN HOSE assy---is visible from the top of the washer (with the cover removed)and may have a blockage.

<<<when I pulled the magnetic rotor out of the motor housing, there was some nasty, grey, liquidy goop in there. Maybe a tablespoon's worth. It's gritty and watery, and smells like fish oil>>>

Not good. The seal in the DRAIN MOTOR has failed.
Some DRAIN MOTORS are known to "run" but not sufficiently fast-enough to pump out water.
Replace the DRAIN MOTOR.

NOTE: If your washer has *dual* motors on the Pump Housing---the DRAIN MOTOR is on the left side if facing the front of the washer.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 AZ Scott

AZ Scott

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

<<<when I pulled the magnetic rotor out of the motor housing, there was some nasty, grey, liquidy goop in there. Maybe a tablespoon's worth. It's gritty and watery, and smells like fish oil>>>

Not good. The seal in the DRAIN MOTOR has failed.
Some DRAIN MOTORS are known to "run" but not sufficiently fast-enough to pump out water.
Replace the DRAIN MOTOR.

NOTE: If your washer has *dual* motors on the Pump Housing---the DRAIN MOTOR is on the left side if facing the front of the washer.

Well, that answers that! If there shouldn't be anything inside that motor but air, then definitely this is our problem. I guess I'll be ordering a motor from you guys!

We didn't see any error code displayed that we remember, just the word "RINSE" flashing. Maybe if the motor was turning just a little bit, the machine didn't recognize an error?

Anyway, thanks for the input! :thanks:

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Link to Pump:

00718562.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 AZ Scott

AZ Scott

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:11 AM

UPDATE/CONCLUSION:

Well, alright!

I received my new drain pump motor just a few days after I ordered it, got it installed, and BINGO! The machine runs like a champ!

I want to thank you guys for your help. The diagnosis was spot on, the instructions I found on this site were VERY helpful, and you saved me who knows how much by not having to call a pro to come fix the thing.

Even learned a few things about our washer that you'd never see in the owner's manual, too!

Cheers!
:cheers:

- Scott

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

... Even learned a few things about our washer that you'd never see in the owner's manual, too!

For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics