Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko W600 Washing Machine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hello fellow appliance fixers... I have a 10 year-old Asko W600 washing machine that has worked great (until about 2 weeks ago). Upon starting it up to put in a load of laundry it will fill with water but then stop, nothing but perhaps a click happens, then it pumps out the water and goes to 'S'. After extensive searching around, mostly on these forums, I figured it must be the timer. Ordered a new timer (ouch, $250) on via RepairClinic.com and just installed it. No dice. It does the exact same thing. I was certain, given the symptoms the another user was providing, that the timer was the issue. Now I am out of ideas and appealing to the wisdom of the masses.

Belts are fine but I have not pulled the motor yet (thinking it was the timer and because it does not seem that the motor even gets turned on at all). What other clues could I provide to help diagnose this problem?

Best Regards,

Mike (the guy with the dirty clothes and irritated wife)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

The timer clicking right into S means is how this machine indicates a fault, usually with the motor circuit or the motor itself. Not sure if this model has the separately replaceable brushes or not but you can tell by looking at it. Brushes could be cracked or worn and this replacement brush set might work in your motor-- will need to visually verify. If not, then you'll need to replace the motor.

Verify the motor wiring harness is fully plugged in and all the wires are making contact.

#3 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

Samurai,

Thanks kindly for your insights. I will check the brushes tonight and follow up.

Regards,

Grasshopper

#4 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hi Samurai,

I pulled the motor and it looks like a brush replacement could be promising. I checked the brush set you pointed me to and just before ordering I asked the Repair Clinic person to confirm that the brush would work in the Emerson MCA 61/64-148/AC18 motor I have in my Asko and said they do not stock Emerson parts. Are the parts you noted valid replacement? Thanks tons!

Mike -- still the guy with the broken washer.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

What do you mean by "valid?"

No harm in buying and trying. If they're not "valid," return 'em for a refund.

#6 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Good Evening, Samurai,

By 'valid' I meant 'do they work with the Emerson motor that came with my Asko W600'? In the not too distant past I ordered some tires from TireRack.com and I asked them if the tires would for sure fit my car. They said those are the only size that fits my car. Turns out that when I brought them in to be mounted there were actually two sizes that came with my car and the ones I got were wrong. Cost me $150 to ship the tires back so I am bit paranoid. Will try these brushes and see how they work.

Thanks kindly,

Mike

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

You should be able to tell whether or not they'll work in you motor by visual comparison of your motor brushes and holsters with the photo of the set I linked you to. It's really as simple as that-- if it looks like it'll fit, most likely it will.

#8 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Samurai,

Thanks much. Already ordered two new brushes. Crossing my fingers that this will work as my wife is cross at me for taking so long because I am stubborn and want to do it myself.

Regards,

Mike

#9 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi Samurai,

Turns out the brushes were the problem. The set I received was not quite right which required a file and a bit of other work to make them fit, but they work. They are somewhat noisy right now but I am guessing that will improve once the brushes get seated.

Thanks kindly,

Mike

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

It's not uncommon to have to file the carbon rods a bit to make them fit right. And yes, they will quiet down as they grind down and conform to the shape of the armature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics