Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid K45 stand mixer speed control

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lwraymer

lwraymer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Greetings Master,

I have inherited a suberb Kitchen Aid K45 that has the niggling problem of either being off or going full tilt. :( Being a strong advocate of the three R's (Recycle, Repair and Reuse) I believe the misguided unit is worthy of our attention. I've taken the motor head apart as far as I can without any beer on board...that is to say not very far...just the back cover. It looks like the orbital gear head will need to come off before the motor can be removed to expose the switch mechanism. It also appears there is a micro switch that supplies the ON/OFF function and the speed lever on the outside runs some sort of rheostat that controls the motor RPM. 

If you would be so kind as to enlighten me, is this problem something that you've dealt with in the past? Is it possible to repair the unit and still keep the suds-o-meter at 1 or under? Any enlightenment would be most appreciated. :)

Humbly yours,

young lwraymer

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 lwraymer

lwraymer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

OK, so I'm about half way through my second beer and I have the motor removed from the base and the switch mechanism exposed. However, I don't see any obvious reason for the malfunction. Has anyone worked on one of these switches and could you tell me what should I be looking for?

I've tried looking up switch parts for this unit, but the parts search engine on this site doesn't include a category for stand mixers under Kitchen Aid. Is it possible the parts might be listed under another manufacturer?

lwraymer

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:37 AM

I found a few threads on Kitchenaid mixers from our old forum that may hepya:

Kitchenaid Model 4 Mixer

Disassembling a Kitchenaid Model 4 Mixer

Kitchenaid Standing Mixer Model KSM90

#4 lwraymer

lwraymer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:15 PM

All righty, then. While the information provided was useful, the solution to my speed control problem was not addressed in any of the threads. The route I took definately hit three on the ol' suds-0-meter because I took the motor off the stand, removed the govenor plate, monkeyed with the adjustment of the points and in general poked and probed everywhere...until I noticed a big  capacitor shielded by a cardborad tube and tucked in over the top of govenor plate. When all as was said and done, I wouldn't have had to crack a beer to do this one. The problem was the capacitor that was wired in-line was shorted. The part could have been replaced by simply taking off the back cover (1 screw) and undoing two wire nuts. 

The motor head is laying upside down in this picture. The capacitor (enclosed in the cardboard tube) is actually at the top of the opening when the cover is taken off.  The Whirlpool part number for the capacitor is 4160325.

Cheers!

file:///E:/DCIM/108CANON/IMG_0825.JPG

file:///E:/DCIM/108CANON/IMG_0832.JPG

file:///E:/DCIM/108CANON/IMG_0830.JPG

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

prefer my martini's shaken,not stirred anyhow..... :P
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:01 AM

If the part cannot be obtained here try   www.culinaryparts.com     this is a parts source for small appliances. Or call 1-800 543 7549   It is called Culinary Parts Unlimited.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics