Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SubZero 550 Not So Cold Up High

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharkus

sharkus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:37 AM

We just bought a house that came with a 1996 SubZero 550. Freezer seems to be nice and cold, and the bottom two shelves of the fridge are also cold. However, the top couple shelves of the fridge are quite a bit warmer. One thing I noticed is that the fan in the top of the fridge does not seem to come on. Is this fan supposed to circulate the air in the fridge and keep the temp more consistent? Also, is this fan called an evaporator fan?

Thanks in advance!
Sharkus

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

That would be the Refrigerator Evaporator Fan.
Refrigerator Evaporator Fan should run only when the Refrigerator Door Switch is closed,
and, depending on Fridge serial number, only when the Refrigerator Compressor is running.
For manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 sharkus

sharkus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Good idea. I'll request the repair manual next...

A couple quick questions:

1. if this evaporator fan is not working, does that explain why the fridge is warm on the top shelves, and cold on the bottom shelves? Or is there likely something else going wrong? I have never seen/heard this fan run, even when the compressor is working and/or the door sensors are held down.

2. The ice maker also seems to be on the fritz. There was a bit of ice in the tray yesterday, but after cleaning the freezer and waiting 24 hours there has not been any ice made. Could I have messed something up by cleaning the freezer with the fridge still plugged in and running?

Thanks for the advice!
Marcus

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

1) yes, Fan circulates the cold air ...
2) Is there Ice IN the IceMaker ?
Freezer needs to be +15F or colder to harvest the Ice
SZ 500 link PM'd

#5 sharkus

sharkus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

I replaced the evaporator fan. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to fix anything... :( Evaporator fan is still not spinning, so it must be whatever controls the fan. Any hints on what I should do next?

also, the ice maker IS making ice, it's just making 1 batch every 2 days... That can't be right either.

Thanks in advance,
-Marcus

Edited by sharkus, 30 April 2011 - 02:41 AM.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

... Evaporator fan is still not spinning, so it must be whatever controls the fan.

Refrigerator Evaporator Fan should run only when the Refrigerator Door Switch is closed,
and, depending on Fridge serial number, only when the Refrigerator Compressor is running.

... the ice maker IS making ice, it's just making 1 batch every 2 days... That can't be right either.

IceMaker operation (and frequency) depends on Freezer temperature
SZ 550 service manual
link PM'd

#7 sharkus

sharkus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

Thanks, I've been checking the fan with the door sensors closed and also listening for the fan with the door closed. It is not working. Does this typically mean something major is wrong? What part should I investigate or how should I debug further?

Edited by sharkus, 01 May 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

First make sure that the fan is supposed to be running. Open your fridge door for a few minutes, turn your thermostat up to max then press door switch. Do this while your fridge compressor is running. If fridge compressor running and fan is not running, check fan voltage for 110v.

If no voltage and compressor not running, then cooling at the bottom of the fridge could be coming from the freezer and not from fridge compressor (see next paragraph for how this can happen with sub z 550's) and you may have a bad cold control. If compressor running and no voltage, then you have have a wiring problem with fan motor.

A very common problem with the 500 series sub z's is the insulation between fridge and freezer weakens over time. This fools the fridge cold control into thinking that the entire fridge is colder than it really is. One way to solve this is by lining bottom of fridge with some form of insulation and moving the fridge cold control thermometer higher and away from the freezer.
I recently moved one from below the fridge evap to about 6 inches above it and it solved the problem.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 01 May 2011 - 08:05 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

If the divider insulation is getting saturated ( and freezing )........... You will need to add a heater kit P/N 819060..It will also contain a defrost drain heater.......Original complaint: You will need to check for power , I would start at the door switch, located in the compressor area..........Is there power TO the switch??? AGAIN depending on your SERIAL number, the compressor is/ is not operating............If the fan and the compressor is operating, you will need to look at the frost pattern on the evaporator coils............ <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics