Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

DOE to ban ice makers

certified tech group 51

Found an article in the The Washington Times.....Dated Sat.23 2011.......... Item reads in part, The DOE wants to "Remove the ice maker from the refer to save the consumer apx. $37.00 in electricity over the lifetime of a typical side by side."

• Like 3

... $37.00 in electricity over the lifetime of a typical side by side."

hhmm ... so... IF the average lifetime is ... maybe 12 years..

that would be a savings of $ 3 a year...

I could save 25 cents a month on my electric bill, roflp.gif

and since the IceMaker only runs when the Fridge is actually running,

maybe they are talking about the 7 seconds of the Water Valve and the Harvest Motor in the IceMaker ...

Can we lobby the government on some of this stuff? Enough is enough already!

• Team Samurai

You no likee da Gubmint ragamalations? You must be Al Qaeda or a communist er sumpin!

No, just tired of the government running our lives, telling us what we can and cannot purchase.

• Team Samurai

Yep, definitely Al Qaeda. Someone call TSA-- Scottthewolf needs a freedom grope.

that bill will never pass, dem gubmint ficials aint bout ta twist ice trays. crap, almost forgot...the rules dont apply to them.

Why is it they hate dem friges? No R-12, no more $8 defrost clocks, and now no more automatic ice.

Might be a bidness opertunity in da making for me. Alaska used to cut ice off the lakes and ship it to Seatle for dem ole skool ice friges that might be making a come back, they way things are headed.

Yep, definitely Al Qaeda. Someone call TSA-- Scottthewolf needs a freedom grope.

Watch it sucker! I'll get Aunt Esther after you, you heathen! LOL

What I dont get all this was based on the "Molina-Rowland" Therory. As of yet this theory is unproven but somebodies pockets got very well lined. :thanks: Uncle Sam for nothing. :yucky:

Ah yes, good ol' La Wanda Page. It's funny how ugly she was on the show, but she was very pretty when not playing her part as Aunt Esther.

Oh, I forgot this.

One of the places I used to work for, he mainly sold used appliances. He had so much junk in his yard, I set his ringtone on his cell phone to the Sanford & Son theme when he left the store.

• 2 years later...

just an update... DOE is not banning icemakers, only heat release icemakers. By 2015 all manufacturers will be using flex mold icemakers.

Just maybe the government had some idea what it was doing. Just maybe they were aware of the flex mold technology and forcing the manufacturers to spend money and do some development. The government is always such an easy target. What is hard, is to step back and try and look at things from a different perspective. This is especially true when government bashing is always the "in thing. " Not to mention the intentional, deceptions put out by organizations who want to perpetuate the bashing. I would bet you that when this was first reported, either because of sloppy reporting, or more likely to perpetuate government bashing, the reporter ignored the "heat release icemaker" part and wrote "all icemakers."

We all have to keep our eyes on the government but we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of believing unregulated biased media outlets, be it right, left or center.

Scott, you bring up an interesting parallel. LaWanda Page, like the government, is always portrayed as ugly and out of shape. Easy to fall for the deception and easy to pile on. Because of your statement, I decided to do a little research. And this is what I found...

tumblr_lxk6qjZTfI1qcbcd5o1_500_zps27a1e6

yep, Aunt Esther during her dancer years. It's amazing what a little bit of research can reveal. Then we will wax poetic about the good ol' days and say government (LaWanda) use to be beautiful. But we fail to try and find any current beauty as it is covered by a lot of deception....

MV5BMTI2MTE0MjQ0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTM3

No where close to what we thought about her today. I suggest many times it's the same with the government.

Now all this is not to say I like the new technology or the government .. just providing a different perspective.

• Like 1

What came first,the DOE or free market consumer driven electrical generation? Yep thought so. If i pay for electricity i will use as much as i want,if i pay for water i will use as much as i want. They have no business what so ever regulating any of this. Which one last longer, a heat release whirlpool icemaker or a samsung or any other flextray icemaker?

don't get me wrong, I hate the flex mold icemaker. I am not so sure the government told them to make flex mold, just told them to improve efficiency particularly when they have the ability to do it. And much like the hd tv industry, sometimes our manufacturers need a kick in the gonads and made to think about innovations as oppose to profit. Otherwise, as the point you made, free market could destroy our manufactures. It was predicted that if hdtv wasn't forced here in America, other countries would permanently dominate the market. Good thing or bad thing? I don't know. But it wasn't because of a government plot to take over our lives.

But the main point I was making, is the misleading nature of the topic... "doe bans Icemakers." As I said, it's easy to blame the government. I just think sometimes we should just step back an give more thought than a knee jerk reaction. Your reaction actually proves the point. All you heard was someone suggesting that the government isn't always the bad guy and missed the main point of my statement.

You did get me thinking about the old flex trays. Whirlpool with the defrost timer built in to it,frigidaire had one and so did admiral. The admiral wasnt too bad except for the tray. All of these took up more space then the heat release units. I think frigidaire was the only one with a temp thermistor in the last design of that. They were pretty unreliable though.