Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
anwar

whilpool duet dryer overheating smell

7 posts in this topic

I'm wondering If anyone can help me find out what's wrong with my dryer.

It's a whirlpool duet (#8541835).  It's only 1.5 years old.  My wife noticed a strong

smell when she used it last time.  It smells like something is burning.  I disconnected it from the wall and ran it again.  It doesn't smell when I run it on "air only".  When we put it on heat then the smell comes.  It's quite strong.  I did find some lint in the duct that I cleaned.

 

Any ideas?

thanks...Anwar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Chunk of lint might have blown onto the heating element and burned...assuming this is an electric dryer. 

If electric, I'd open it up and check for burnt wires around the heating element terminals.

Gas dryer?  Different ball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an electric dryer.  I will open it up and take a look at the wires.

thanks...Anwar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

 

I opened it up and looked at the wires in the control assembly (the assembly on the side of the dryer).  I found some dust and fuzz but nothing that looked like it has burned.  I had a hard time opening the front control assembly so I couldn't see any of the electronics there. 

Any further suggestions?

thanks....Anwar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible it was just a dust ball burning on the element. 

Or, could be something is horribly wrong. 

The control panel is a little tricky to get off.  You have to remove the whole top panel.  Some basic disassembly instructions and illsutrations here.  Get someone to help you hold things because the control panel can be awkward to handle if you're not used to it-- and that's a high dollar item you don't want slipping out of your hands! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I decided to give it my last shot before calling in the pros.  I opened the back panel and looked around.  I couldn't see any burned wires.  There was quite a bit of lint which I cleaned up.  After I opened the front panel I could finally see inside the tube that has the heating coil.  There I found what looked to be burned lint in the bottom.  So I cleaned it all up with a vaccuum and decided to give it a try.......and yes that was it .  Looks like lint got on the coil and started burning.  I put the dryer together and it worked like a charm...no smell hurray!!!

thanks very much for your help...  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, thanks for the followup!  :cheers:

If you're getting lint balls on the heating element like that, you need to analyze your dryer vent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites