Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag LSE7806ACE Washer/Dryer Stack - Won't spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 widowbryant

widowbryant

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

I've searched the archives and can't seem to find this particular problem.

First thing I noticed was a queer squeak/whine during final spin cycle. I went in to see what the hell that was. When I lifted the lid I noticed a slight burning rubber smell like when my vacuum cleaner belt breaks. I found that it had pumped and drained, but the clothes were not spun out. Load was comprised of a few pairs of heavy jeans and a heavy sweatshirt. Done on medium load. It was certainly a heavy load but not necessarily overloaded for the tub size nor the water level.

So. Machine agitates fine. It drains fine. Spin is a no go.

Things I've checked or done:

1. Took off the top tub ring and made sure nothing was stuck between the tubs, by looking all around with a flashlight.
2. Replaced both drive belts on the bottom , just because I had new ones and I was down there. But they weren't really worn.
3. Checked and adjusted the tension to the proper 1/4 inch gap on the drive belt when pinched.
4. Spun all pulleys beneath the machine by hand, and they all rotate fine.
5. Checked the lid switch fuse on the mid left side of the machine, which is good.
6. Took off the agitator inside the tub and made sure there was nothing beneath it.

When in spin cycle it makes all the right noises, except the spinning sound. I don't really smell the slight burning rubber smell anymore. But then my doors are open now with the spring weather. The lid switch clicks when I put the lid down, and the filling or agitation stops when I lift the lid.

Gosh, what now?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice...

rebecca

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

soo... in the Spin Cycle, id the Motor turning ?
Belts turning ?
Transmission Pulleys turning ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 widowbryant

widowbryant

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Should I prop the machine back up slightly and look while it's in spin cycle?

Can't really see underneath without propping it up....

#4 BLTH15

BLTH15

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

possible frozen brake, may need some tools the sensai's can offer

#5 widowbryant

widowbryant

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Is the inside basket/tub supposed to move if I reach inside and push it manually? I mean when the washer is off?

I imagine it's only the agitator that moves during a wash cycle. Is the spin the only time the actual basket moves?

How can I test the brake?

#6 widowbryant

widowbryant

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Ok, I've discovered that the transmission is not spinning freely. The belt will shift a few inches when I put the machine in spin cycle, but then it just stops. The transmission cannot be turned by hand.

What next?

Thank you!

rebecca

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

On this particular unit, with the newer orbital transmission, the most common failure of the nature you describe is the agitator shaft siezes up when the boot seal center seal lets drips run into the top of the trans over time. It's a teardown but one of those fun, mediative jobs; here's a page that explains it.

Can get you some teardown manuals if you're willing to go for it. Lemme know.

#8 widowbryant

widowbryant

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Would this be true even if there's no water or moisture or rust surrounding the transmission or below the tub?

I bought the manual from you first thing, thank you very much. *smile* I appreciate you having that to offer....

rebecca

Actually, after reading your linked page, the howling noise, the burning smell, and the reluctant spin are all my symptoms. Guess I better get some beer.

Are the two repair kits mentioned in the article the ones I need for my model?

thanks again!

rebecca

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hi Rebecca,

Yep, the two parts linked on that how-to page are the ones for your washer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics