Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool GHW9100LQ Duet Washer / Cycle Light Flashing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1969

Chris1969

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer, model #GHW9100LQ. The Cycle Selection Lights flash, regardless of the setting I choose, as if the door is open. The door switch seems to actuate properly. All controls seem responsive and the Time Remaining Display is correct - I just can't get it to start a cycle. Unplugging it an allowing over an hour to reset the Controls seems to have zero impact. I have successfully run through the Diagnostic cycle repeatedly with no problems - i.e. the door locks, and the Diagnostic runs through all steps from start to finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Could this still be a door switch or CCU if the Diagnostic runs properly? If it's just the doorswitch, is there a way to bypass it until I can get the new one to do the repair? (Family of 6... and of course this happened immediately following the kids leaving their laundry in the washer overnight >.<)

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,372 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yes, this unit will run diagnostics even if the door switch is bad.

When you run the diagnostics, the first step, C:00, actuates the door switch. When this happens, you'll hear it (and the door locks). Da, tovarish?

There's a little nub on these door latch assemblies that's prone to breaking off and making the washer think the door is still open. Read more... http://fixitnow.com/...t-start-or-run/

Part link to the door switch/latch assembly... http://www.repaircli...ssembly/1094190

#3 Chris1969

Chris1969

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

I do hear the doorlock engage at C:00.

What I believe to be the door switch nub you refer to seems to be intact (sticks about about 1/4-3/8 of an inch). It depresses and springs back just fine when I test it by fingertip. Of course I'm assuming it's still the likely culprit, just an internal failure vs being broken off... If I could figure out where my multi-meter vanished to in the last move, I'd check it. I guess I just wanted to be sure that the Diagnostic running fine didn't somehow rule out the switch.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,372 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

Check the wire harness connections on the door latch assy, remove and reseat all of 'em. They can get oxidized or wiggle loose over time.

#5 Chris1969

Chris1969

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

Argh... no luck. The switch assembly looked fine visually when I pulled it out. Put everything back, carefully reseated the connections, no changes. I'm going to try and fin dmy MIA multimeter and check the switch - and at this point, I hope it reads bad so I can just order a new one with and get this thing fixed >.<

#6 Chris1969

Chris1969

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Following up on my little dilema from last week, I have a question, actually. Does the Cycle Selection light normally flash before starting a cycle? After rummaging through various threads here and there online, I convinced myself it was not normal.... but...

After finding my meter and checking the Door Swich & Harness connections (which tested fine), I finally discovered another problem. It turns out that I have a broken plastic spring/lever on the front Touch Pad panel under the Start button. It broke off, so the Start button wasn't actuating the button on the circuit board. With the Start button itself removed, I can reach the little red button on the board and start the washer now. I'll be ordering the Touch Pad soon (we bought the washer used, so I'm defintley not opposed to replacing the well-used button panel after something on it already failing), but I wanted to make sure that flashing light is normal now >.<. It does stop flashing when the cycle starts... so I think I've just convinced myself it didn't used to flash before this incident... but I don't actually recall either way. Apparently I'm oh so observant!

Thanks again for any help.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,372 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

I don't recall that light flashing while running. But it sounds like you found a physical problem with the panel so it should be replaced in any event. Usually, fixing obvious problems like the one you found resolves other, seemingly unrelated problems, too.

Here's the link to the control panel... http://www.repaircli...l/Panel/1059625

If that doesn't fix it, you can return it for a refund. One year guarantee on the part, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics