Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag wide-by-side MZD2766GEB...three guesses what's wrong

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NetworkGuy

NetworkGuy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Dominion Lager

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

First, great forum...wish I had found this when my hot water heater was having problems a few weeks ago...

now, on to the Maytag wide-by-side. Three guesses what the problem is, but you'll only need one. Frost in the back of the freezer, fridge not cooling. I'm out of work now, so looking to save some $$, I googled the problem and wound up here, though every hit I got seemed to suggest the ADC was bad. Saw the 365-day return policy here and since the best anyone local could do was a week later, I ordered. Problem is, I didn't completely read the thread (Five page thread on this from several years ago), I'm not an electronics guy, pictures and links are missing, and it's a bit hard to follow some of the conversations.

I managed to locate and replace the board, but I THINK what I have to do now is short L1 to test. Like I said, I'm not an electronics guy, so while I can take a guess, I'm not 100% sure what that means and how to go about it. I have a multimeter, but have never used it (and really don't know how...I got it free w/ coupon and purchase a Harbor Freight...free is good, I'll figure out what it is later, right?!?!). Would someone be willing to give me a step-by-step and/or electronics 101 to help fix this? I'm a handy guy, fixing and building stuff all the time, so I don't need idiot proof directions, but the kiddie version would be helpful.

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Have you installed the new ADC yet ?

On the "older" ADC, the first and second pins MAY be labeled L1 and TEST.
If not, you have the "newer" style ADC (see below)
Turn the Cold Controls to MAX cooling.
The Compressor should run.
Momentarily short L1 and TEST pins together with the tip of an insulated screwdriver.
The Compressor should stop running, and should energize the Defrost Heater.
If the ADC "buzzes" it's bad.

The newer style ADC may not have the L1 and TEST pins ..
(there's another way to activate Defrost)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 NetworkGuy

NetworkGuy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yes, I have installed the new ADC. I hadn't taken the time to defrost manually yet, so I crammed everything into the garage freezer (aka extended-stay leftovers keeper attached to full-sized beer storage unit) and will do that now. The old one has L1 and test marked..not sure about the new one. Should I short that on the new one?

#4 NetworkGuy

NetworkGuy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Here's the current frosty-ness state as I go try to find the wife's hair dryer:
Posted Image

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

... as I go try to find the wife's hair dryer:
... The old one has L1 and test marked..not sure about the new one. Should I short that on the new one?

... and a few towels..
yes, if it has those pins labled L1 and TEST,
otherwise on the "newer" ADCs, it's easier..
I think its "turn cold control ON /OFF 3 times within 6 seconds, then leave on MAX cold"

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics