Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MAH4000AWQ won't drain and spin cycle doesn't work (i think)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobthebob

bobthebob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

i just moved in to a new house and the washer has stopped working - the repairman said he come 10 days from now so I told him forget it.

I used to be an auto mechanic and I know my way around a multimeter so I figured it might be within my power to fix the machine myself - but I'm having trouble tracking down resources and/or answers on the web,

I can't seem to find a link to download the service manual for this washer anywhere and although I get multiple hits in a google search they all seem to be referencing various service tests that are listed in the manual(s) that again - I can't find.

so I figured I'd post here and hope someone could point me in the right direction.

I would have done a search for the topic here in the forum but there doesn't appear to be a search function! the only search field takes me to the Parts Deparment for the online store. not what I was looking for - at least not yet.

can anyone assist me?

cheers,
b

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

what's it doing / not doing ?

For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 bobthebob

bobthebob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

well - I had a large load that failed - I don't know what happened I just came down and discovered that it hadn't drained - I pulled all the clothes out and ran it empty and after that wash cycle the inner tub was again filled with water - to the level of approx the bottom of the door.

I have tried running it on "Spin" and also setting it to Rinse just before Spin and waiting to see if it would spin but as far as I can tell it doesn't spin.

I decided to take the drain pump out and have a look and found the rubber o-ring had broken apart and jammed up the pump blades. it was more or less one big piece so I pulled it out and the blades turn now without problems.

my question is this - would the machine not being able to drain prevent the spin cycle from starting?

it might I suppose - what do you think?

also although I drained the inner tub the outer tub still seems like it has water in it since when I spin the inner tub I can here lots of sloshing going on - should I drain the outer tub? or will that just take care of itself if I fix the pump and get the machine going again?

also - I'm not sure what's going on but when I click your link for the apprenticeship page I get an error message...

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

... would the machine not being able to drain prevent the spin cycle from starting?

yes

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=775841

00713708.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 bobthebob

bobthebob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

had a look at the apprenticeship info - how can I know whether the manual I need for my machine will be available??

ok - so I'll go ahead and order the pump, what about draining the outer tub?

#6 bobthebob

bobthebob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

I assume the o-ring is not available by itself??

#7 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

If you removed the pump hoses from the pump then the outer tub will completely drain. The water you hear is sealed in the balance ring around the tub. It is actually a calcium chloride solution. If the pump still works you could take it and the old o-ring to a parts store and have them match it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics