Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

FAV6800AWW Will not drain

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PBK

PBK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

The unit will not drain at the 9 to 10 minute point. I replaced the drain pump, worked for two complete cycles then failed to drain on the third cycle. Not hearing the pump turn. Hear many clicks at relays actuate but still no draining

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Is the new Pump getting 120v ?
If not, then it's either a bad Main Controller, or Wiring / Connectors

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

You probably do not have the FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service manual its around on the web 16022808 Revision 0 December 2003.

If you did you could go into to Service Mode and turn on the drain pump on from the console and check for proper operation.

Here is the process to turn on the drain pump in service mode;

I would go to page 16 of the SM lower right hand part of page, Board Output Test and turn on the drain pump in service mode to pump out the tub. See if you can turn on the drain pump in Service Mode here is the process.

Enter Service Mode by simultaneously pressing and holding the Enviro Plus and Spin Only keys for three seconds or the display reads “00”

Next pressing the Delicates key will lock the lid. Now press the Presoak key the drain pump will turn on. Stop with off button or hit the Presoak key.

If the drain pump turns on then I would hose or bucket fill the washer to at least 7” of water in the wash basket. Then turn on the drain pump in service mode. It should take 20 to 30 seconds to dump the water. If it does not we need to do further Drain Pump and or Drain Line troubleshooting.

Good luck.........Dick

Edited by dh1200s, 07 May 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

#5 PBK

PBK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for your help. I used the manual and the pump works fine. It seems the current problem now is that the clothes will not spin properly. They always get out of balance preventing the spin ccle from completing. Could the front struts being weak cause the clothes to be unbalanced?

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Can you rotate the spin basket CCW?? You could be looking at a bad clutch pulley, possibly rusted ......

#7 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

It’s not a Strut issue do you know for sure your drain pump was bad? AC cheater cord and open the pump housing for impeler inspection. I would not chuck you old drain pump just yet.

PBK you enter into Spin Cycle of the wash cycle and the wash basket/tub bangs around failing with unbalance error codes dc or UC is that correct? If you terminate that cycle and start a Spin Only Cycle I'm sure you fail out with dc/UC error codes.

If so the One-Way Clutch bearings in the Clutch Pulley are slipping they need to lock up ROCK SOLID in Spin Cycle.... CCW rotation of the Wash Basket. If they slip as you enter into Spin Cycle you will get agitator shaft/tumbler movement which drags the wash load off balance resulting in BIG Time Wash Tub swings. The TDS will signal the Control Board of the Out Of Balance condition, the Control Board will halt the Spin Cycle, rotate the tumblers for a few rotations to redistribute the wash basket load then start the spin cycle again. If the Out Of Balance condition continues and after for a few more wash load redistribute attempts the Control Board will say enough of this and signal a dc or UC error code to the LED display.

You could drop out the Clutch Pulley and inspect..... maybe clean up the One-Way bearings in the Clutch Pulley and the Upper One-Way bearing ring if used if they are not severely rusted up as certified tech group 51 mentioned.

I have an old write up somewhere on this forum to help you troubleshoot the issue and remove the Clutch Pulley for inspection/maintenance. I have no clue where it is. I have sticky on another forum with all the details of this issue. You could throw another Clutch Pulley in the machine and maybe work for a few more months. But I feel you are ready for an Outer Tub rebuild or at a minimum Tub Seal replacement. This is a very cost effective DIY repair for the handy owner.

Good luck............Dick

Edited by dh1200s, 09 May 2011 - 01:39 AM.

#8 PBK

PBK

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yamabushi,

You described the problem exactly. When I get home I will check the clutch. I have downloaded the Service Manual. I still have the old pump. I can use it as a future spare. I will report later.

Thanks

#9 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

“”You described the problem exactly.”” I get a bit long winded with support details.

I’m an owner like you and hate to see folks trash a $1K machine if they are a bit handy and like to pay themselves $ rather then repeated service calls.

With a little hands on and some basic guidance I feel you will find the machine is very easy to work on except for the location of that darn drain pump and pressure switch location.....some fun right? Based on the age of the machine I feel you are ready for an Outer Tub rebuild that will give you another 5 yrs + out of it. Other issues will come up as with any washer and all are fixable at reasonable cost if you can tolerate some down time to pick up parts and DIY.

There is misinformation out there that you need to replace the “Outer Tub to Get New Bearings” that is just not so for DIY owners. I can point you to my post where several other owners have rebuilt the Outer Tub on both FAV6800A and FAV9800A machines of both original Outer Tub design and the redesigned Outer Tub for these TL’s at reasonable cost. I won’t quote $ it’s better to hear it from the DIY owner that has completed the process.

Back to the unbalance errors, Google this Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW I discuss Clutch Pulley issues and other common issues with the machine.

Read through the sticky in Part 1 I describe the issue dc/UC unbalance errors in Spin Cycle……. what is the cause. Part 2 the fix. Again keep in mind I feel you are ready for a Tub Seal replacement based on the age of the machine. If you get away with Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing maintenance or have to replace the Clutch Pulley this will be a temp fix and I can’t give you a feel for how long. Ya need to fix the Root Cause of the issue.

If you need to replace the Clutch Pulley, you can get it right here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics