Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer has mind of its own!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dmullins

dmullins

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

Hi, my Kenmore 90 series dryer just started getting crazy on me. I can put a load in and start the dryer. It will run for about 10-15 minutes and then just shut off. I can hear the timer clicking. I walk away and then it will just start up on its own after about 10 minutes of being off.

It runs for ten minutes, shuts off for ten minutes, starts back up for ten minutes,........you get the picture.

I originally thought it might clogged with lint, which it was, awful. It has been cleaned out as good as I can get it. I thought with the amount of lint I cleaned out of it that it should work now. But no! I hooked it back up and it's pulling the same crap.

What the hell is wrong with this thing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:27 PM

Do you have a model and serial number?
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 dmullins

dmullins

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

Serial #   MH2790210

Model/Stock #   66912691

Type No.   138-00

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

110. 66912691....Whirlpool DOTT dryer, oh goodie......Ok, for the motor to shut off and come back on means the push to start relay coil must be holding to give voltage to the motor when it cuts out without restarting it by pushing the start switch.  This is so the motor will restart for the tumble press/wrinkle guard part of the PP cycle.   Where is what cycle is the motor cutting our and coming back on by itself??   Sounds like you have a bad motor but have not seen do this before.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 dmullins

dmullins

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

It doesn't matter if I have it on timed dry, fluff, or auto dry. I can set the timer for 30 minutes, the thing will run for 10 minutes and stop, i'll go in and see that there is 20 minutes left. It's weird, it's like it gets set on pause.

My neighbor mentioned something about thermal fuse, thermal cut-off, etc.  He thought that maybe since it had been so clogged full of lint that maybe I damaged one of these items. I don't know! Help!

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

Thermofuse blown, dryer would be dead, does not reset.  thermister bad, dryer would shut down and not restart on its own.  You could have a timer that is cutting voltage to the motor or a motor overheating.  You are going to need to see where you are losing the voltage to or at the motor when it cuts out.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

Pegi, where would one get a schematic for this?Thanks!
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#8 dmullins

dmullins

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

Ok, this whole timer thing. Even after the dryer stops running, you can still hear a ticking (I'm assuming this is the timer). Could the timer be causing the dryer to act this way? How do I determine where I'm losing the voltage?

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

No schematic on service matters for this one, he will have to get the tech sheet out of the console and scan it in or fax it......Yes your timer could be cutting the motor out, you would check for voltage using a volt stick to read voltage thru the insulation on the wires.

#10 jorahood

jorahood

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:43 AM

I have the same model dryer with a similar, but not identical, problem. The dryer will start buzzing louder and louder as it's running until it shuts off. Pressing start doesn't work, it either just clicks, or clicks and buzzes. If you leave it alone for a while though, after 5-10 minutes it starts up on its own again. At first this was a very intermittant problem, but has gotten worse and worse until now it won't run at all, just buzzes. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Andy

#11 Lurker_Dan W_*

Lurker_Dan W_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hi All,

I have a Kenmore Dryer Type 138-00 model/stock # 110.68972890 8972 Serial # MH2608423 I think that this may be a Kenmore Whirlpool.

Suddenly last night the dryer will only run if the "Start" button is held on. As soon as it is released, the dryer stops. This seems like a variation of the situations described above.

Of course, I have a load of damp clothes in dryer when I encountered this problem. Unless I can figure this one out quickly, I think I'll have to head for the laundramat to dry my clothes.

I suspect that I am overdue cleaning out my lint so if I am smart enough to open up the back, I will do that while waiting for some replies.

Thanks,

Dan :?

#12 Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*

Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

Jorahood, you have a bad motor....will research the other poster in this same thread and get back with some suggestions for Dan W.

#13 Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*

Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

Dan W, a DOTT dryer, could be a bad motor relay in the console or bad even heat board, need to see where you are losing voltage. Board ref.# 13, the motor and heat relays #'s 36 and 41, they are identical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics