Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

White Rodgers Thermostat 1F80-224 nonresponsive

akahan

Hi -

My home central heating / air conditioning is a two-zone system. Each zone is controlled by a White Rodgers thermostat. One of the two zones is working fine. For the other, the thermostat is 99% nonresponsive: the Auto/On switch works for the fan, but none of the other buttons or switches do anything at all. The display, which normally alternates between the time and temperature, is just showing the temperature. (I'm not even sure it's correct...) Since the buttons are nonresponsive, I cannot change the temperature, program the thermostat, or have any other effect. Removing the batteries makes no change: without the batteries, it still just shows the temperature. Just to make sure, I have replaced the batteries with known good/fresh batteries.

Doing a reset (by holding down the (arrow up), (arrow down) and time buttons simultaneously, does nothing. (I guess it shouldn't do anything, since the thermostat doesn't even seem to be able to tell that the buttons are being pressed!)

I have tried turning off the entire furnace/AC and turning it back on again, but this has had no effect.

The thermostat for the other zone is behaving normally.

I would replace the thermostat, but I have a dim recollection that this has happened to me once before (same system), and was easily fixed...I just can't remember what the fix was.

This is one of those situations (as I think it was last time this happened) in which to the best of my knowledge it was working fine before the HVAC maintenance technician came over to do maintenance, but was discovered immediately after he left. I could of course have them come back and undo whatever they did that caused this, but that typically involves taking time off work, waiting for them to arrive, etc.

Any help? Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try removing the batteries until the display goes blank and then wait a few more minutes.It can take several minutes for the display to go blank after batteries are removed.

Reinstall the batteries

If the thermostat still is acting stupid replace it.

Archived