Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer WFW8410SW01 won't work!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

hey there, i'm a little new to this forum and i havent found the answer to my problem so far...

i have a whirlpool duet sport washer that just wont work!

i power it on, powers on fine. i choose the cycle i want, press "start" and the door locks. normal... but then it stays locked and the "door locked" light stays red...

when i press "cancel", the lights flash like normal but the door stays locked and i have to manually unlock it all the time. and on top of that, it wont turn off at that point. no matter how many times i press the "power" button, it just stays the same and nothing works until i unplug it from the wall and plug it back in... and it goes on and on and on...

i replaced the door lock actuator, thinking that was it, but that didnt fix it...

what could it possibly be???

also the model number is: WFW8410SW01, Serial #: HLU1581812

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

Possibly a MCU (Motor control unit.)

Try this:

- Disconnect the M13 connector from the CCU (Central Control Unit) that is located under the main top, front right side.

- Then try a cycle. It should lock but then not go any further ... if you leave it long enough you will get an error code. You don't have to wait for that though.

- Now try hitting the cancel button - if it unlocks, then you have a MCU problem - replace the MCU.

- If not, then it could be a pressure switch issue, or a CCU issue.

Let us know if it is NOT an MCU and we can work further on it.
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

can i get a diagram of where the CCU is? and what does the m13 connector look like? sorry, i'm not an expert at these things... this is the first washer i've ever worked on :wallbash:

#4 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

nevermind, i got it :blush:

k so the error code it gave me was F22 and i hit cancel but the door stayed locked...

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

so its the motor control unit thats messed up? because now the "door locked" light doesnt even light up... i reconnected the m13 connector and after i try to start a cycle, it makes the door locking sound like 6 times and says F-22... which is the door lock mechanism, correct?

aghhhh i'm so confused. these things are aggravating!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

so its the motor control unit thats messed up?

You ask that just because the MCU happens to be circled in one of the pics I posted? You asked where the CCU is located, each of those pics shows you.

It is not expedient to be so easily confoosed when embarking on an appliantological journey, Grasshoppah!

#8 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

woops, the door lock actuator was unplugged from the bottom... how stupid of me...

ok so back to square one:

i repeated your steps, Strathy... disconnected M13, turned it on, pressed start, the door locked, and i'm waiting for an error code... its been 5 minutes no and still no error code...

so i pressed cancel and it didnt unlock, the "add a garment" light keeps flashing and we're back to the same exact problem i've been having from the get-go.. i have to manually unlock the door and then unplug it to shut it off..

any ideas?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Ahh, Grasshoppah, you have snatched the pebble from Master Strathy's wizened hand and have proven that the MCU is indeed the problem.

Click it to git it, Hoss...
http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW8410SW01

00653009.jpg

Comes with a one year warranty. And if, by some freak of nature, it doesn't fix your problem, return it for a refund.

#10 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

nevermind.. waited long enough to see "F28" ... apparently thats a serial communication error, between the CCU and MCU?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

F28 error usually results from running the unit without all the panels in place, see this page for more.

#12 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

damn... how on earth am i supposed to replace that?? it sits behind a leg and what looks like a drain valve...

are you sure thats it? so the CCU should be good?

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

If you wanna be doubly-woubly sure, repeat the procedure while singing along with this page. Replacing the MCU ain't so bad, I even posted how-to destructions for you on that page. Posted Image

#14 mabumaali

mabumaali

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

good call, i forgot all about that little thing that needed to be taped down on the bottom-left of the front kicked panel... still got F28 though :/

ok so MCU it is... I ordered it through your parts link above.  

thanks a million for the instructions!! greatly appreciated...

#15 ifixit

ifixit

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Three Floyds "Gumball Head"

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hey 

mabumaali

Nice followup!!

David Hinton, owner
DBH Appliance Repair
Northwest Indiana
I ain't no stinkin' noob!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics