Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WFW9600TW01 Washer Door boot seal replacement

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lspelker

lspelker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

The Door boot seal of my Whirlpool Duet Steam washer ripped from "7 o'clock to 2 o'clock". I need to replace it, but I first need the repair manual in order to figure out how to remove the old seal and put in the new. Any one have an online manual and some tips on replacing the seal?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

You shouldn't need a manual to replace that door boot.

It is held in place by two wire 'bands'. The one on the outside edge is spring loaded. To remove it, all you do is grip the loop on the end of the spring with a pair of needle nose pliers (or a small flatblade screwdriver works too) and stretch the spring out and over the lip.

The inner band will either be a flat band that is sort of like a big over sized worm-gear clamp, or it will be a wire clamp like on the front edge except it is tightened with a screw. Which ever kind it is, loosen it up and slide it over the lip edge and pull it out. You can now remove the old boot.

The new boot will have a top and a bottom - make sure you have the arrow or notch at the top and the drain holes at the bottom. Fit the inner lip first by working it around pushing the rubber edge of the boot over the plastic lip of the outer liner. Once it is on all the way around you will be able to slide your hand all the way around and it will feel smooth and even. Then flip the inside of the boot inside the tub (making it inside out) to make it easier to work on the outer band. Work the outer band on all the way around making sure that it is over the lip and in the groove - and then tighten the clamp/screw. Make sure it is good and tight. I use a little ratchet to do this - others reach in from on top with a screwdriver - either way, just make sure it is good a tight or you'll be moping up a flood.

Then flip the inside of the boot back into shape and fit it around the lip on the outer frame. Once it is all in place and smooth, you can replace the outer band. There are different ways of doing this, but I just use my hands - grip the band on either side of the spring. Hook the top of the band over the top edge and fit it around the sides as far as you can. Then stretch the spring out by separating your hands ... at the same time pulling it down over the bottom lip. I can do it in one try pretty much every time now, but it took a bit of practice. Don't be surprised if this takes a couple of tries.

Done ... crack a cold one and enjoy your washer.
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

Strathy, you can do this job without having to remove the front panel? I don't see how you can fit the inner lip over the outer tub that panel still in place.

Ispelker, here's the door boot part link...

http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW9600TW01

00675232.jpg

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

I agree with you Samurai, I wouldn't even attempt to do one with out removing the front panel. Not really that much extra work for how much easier it makes the process.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Yes. My shortest time is just over 6 minutes. The hardest part is getting the inner part over the rim of the outer tub. Once that is on its all downhill.

#6 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

I would also caution you that while it is important to sufficiently tighten the clamp on the tub side of the seal, it is equally important not to overtighten this clamp...
if you over drive it, the clamp and seal will work their way off...ask me how I know...
also, I can not do this repair without removing the front panel...the worst part of this is that asinine trim ring you can barely remove without breaking...which genius thought this was a good idea? Not a tech, I can tell you that..

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 17 May 2011 - 07:49 AM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#7 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

lol - I've got a couple of boots to do this week - I'll see if I can get a video of how I do it - it really does save time to do it without removing the front, especially on one with a dryer on top.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

That'd be great-- would love to observe the technique of the Boot Master!

#9 lspelker

lspelker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

I would be interested to see that video. Is there a manual for this front loader machine? I would like to see how the front panel is put on and the schimatics for the machine. The strange thing is that, although there is a big rip in the seal, the machine only seems to leak water when the steam and sanitize feature is used. I am wondering if there might be something else wrong.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

... Is there a manual for this front loader machine?

tech sheets w/ wiring diagram for that model,
and service manual for the older non-steam model
For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

first generation duets i think is easy to do without taking it apart but those duet sports tryed it and accompished it but was eaiser taking the front
off hard to get that boot around the balance wieghts for someone that doing it for the first time i would take front off you wont be sorry

#12 TRIT0N

TRIT0N

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

gotta say all the boots i have replaced on every brand available i have never had the need to remove the front, i have however had to cross town in rushhour to help other techs get it done

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

Gol durn, I rectum I'm justa old school Samurai. You young appliance studs out there makin' the ladies swoon with them fancy moves. Yeah, well, I still got a move or two of my own that gets the ladies all flustered...

Posted Image

#14 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

lol - my a$$ looks pretty much the same, just with fewer wrinkles ... haha

#15 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

I've always done them without removing the front. This way, it does not matter if the unit is stacked or not. A 1/4 inch drive thumbwheel ratchet, a bit holder, and an assortment of bits and nut drivers make it much easier.

You're really tricky if you can replace the drive belt on a Neptune laundry center from the front, I've won lunches betting guys I could do it that way.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#16 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

http://www.hark.com/...nt-that-special Posted Image :D

Edited by SANTA, 19 May 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#17 lspelker

lspelker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

Well, I've upgraded my account. Is there a way to download a copy of the repair manual? I was hoping to get this door boot replaced tomorrow. Thanks.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Domo!

Whirlpool Duet Sport washer service manual PMed.

#19 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Whirlpool WFW9600TW01

might that be a full Duet ?
I could never understand the Sport / Duet model numbering

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#20 lspelker

lspelker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

My machine is the front loading steam model.

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics