Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WFW8300SW04

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LESTOR

LESTOR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi

I am new to the site, excellent information on here, I am so glad I found it.

I have a whirlpool front load washer Model WFW8300SW04 - last weekend it decided to start making a huge banging sound on the final spin. I immediatly stopped it, thought the load was unbalanced, so started the machine again. It started to make the banging noise again, I knew something was seriously wrong. My first thought was the shocks were broken, they were fine.

Last night I stripped the machine down and my fears came true, the inner tub 3 spoke gear (not sure what it is called) is cracked. The bearings are fine, in fact they still look new. But the part that is cracked is so corroded, i was shocked when I saw it. as everything esle looked so clean.

The question i have is, I know I will need to replace the inner tub, will anything else need to be replaced?

in the picture the part(s) i need is #11

I have given everything the once over and it is all in good working order. There is no damage to the outer tub, and the shocks are in suprisingly good shape, they look new.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Another washing machine enters the Metallic Misery Hall of Shame.

In addition to the inner basket assembly, you may need to replace the outer tub as well. This is because the tub bearing may have gotten damaged from all that wallowing and banging on with the drum and the bearing isn't sold separately-- it's factory installed into a new outer tub.

Posted Image

Might be time to go shopping, compadre. Posted Image

#3 LESTOR

LESTOR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

How would I know if the outer tub was damaged? I have inspected it thoroughly, and it looks fantastic, the bearings look brand new like they were just installed, unless I am missing something.

Cheers

#4 LESTOR

LESTOR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the spider is cracked in 2 places, not broken throughl. The bearings show no sign of wear, like I said in my last post, they look brand new.

Damn this is going to be a costly repair. :wacko:

Cheers

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

You can't always tell visually. Sometimes, you go through all the pain of installing a new inner basket, put it back together, and take it for a test spin only to hear that sickening jet-engine roar of bad bearings. Ax me how I know. Having been burned in this manner, I won't do this job unless the customer goes for replacing both inner basket and outer tub. Result: they all just buy a new machine.

The bearings may or may not be okay, you won't know until it's all back together. So the question you gotta ax yourself is the same one posed by Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry when offering sage wisdom to the young man, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

If the machine was quite in spin before the spider broke then most likely seal and bearings are OK.

You don't have to replace the complete spin basket with the spider attached,(ref#11), in the Duet SPORTS. You can purchase just the spider/shaft assembly for the Duet SPORTS, ref#27 in the parts break down picture.

Much more of a reasonable price and also don't get hit with an extra $50+ shipping charge for over-sized package shipment.

Spider only - $62.95
http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW8300SW04
Posted Image

Complete basket with spider/shaft - $173.35
http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW8300SW04

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 19 May 2011 - 05:58 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 LESTOR

LESTOR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Just to update and to say Thanks.

I fixed my washing machine, and it has been running trouble free for over a month. I decided to only replace the inner drum as the bearings on the outer drum were not damaged. It took me about 2.5 hours to re assemble the machine. It was a lot of work, I am sure a trained repair person could have done it faster, however, the cost was not worth it. So I took the plunge and did it myself.

It gave me a great sense of accomplishment when I ran it for the first time, and it worked!!!! :-)

So thanks for all the responses. I now have this site bookmarked for any future appliance break downs :-)

Cheers

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

Good job on the repair !

For manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Replacing the drum support spider and shaft only without the complete basket in a Whirlpool Duet Sport washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 15 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

If the machine was quite in spin before the spider broke then most likely seal and bearings are OK.

You don't have to replace the complete spin basket with the spider attached,(ref#11), in the Duet SPORTS. You can...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics