Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SubZero 532 refrigerator side frost, no/low door suction and leak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wongro

wongro

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

My refrigerator has had frost for months located at refrigerator side at the back middle left. Recently, I attempted to remove the frost by turning both freezer and refrigerator temperature control to 0 and took the time to clean the box. When I was done, I turned the freezer size back to 4. It stays cold. I turned refrigerator side back to 5 eventually to 9 and wait for half day, the temperature is still 40F. Also, it seems refrigerator side door suction is gone. The same spot used to have frost now have condensation.

What's more? I saw water leak at top left foot at outside. Leak stop when I shut off the water feed to ice maker. There is no leak from the water source to the ice maker valve.

Any help to explain why?

Edited by wongro, 21 May 2011 - 06:13 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

You've had what we professional appliantologists call, "a leak." Sub-Zero had a rash of them on this model a few years back-- I'm surprised to hear of this one cuz I thought they woulda all been dealt with by now.

What's going on is the evaporator-- the coil behind the back wall inside the fridge-- is leaking. It's a manufacturing defect and Sub-Zero was replacing them at either no-charge or a labor-only rate. I think it depended on serial number. You should call Sub-Zero and ask for them to replace the evaporator 100% at their expense. It's worth asking for-- if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)

As for the suction, that's because of the warmer temperatures inside the compartment. The suction was created by the refrigerated compartment rapidly cooling down the warm air that was let in when the door was opened. When the refrigeration system is repaired, the much-loved suction effect will return.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

... What's more? I saw water leak at top left foot at outside. Leak stop when I shut off the water feed to ice maker.

that may be another problem ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

If the leak stops when you shut off the water, then you probably need to replace the water solenoid valve. But you have way bigger problems than this!

#5 wongro

wongro

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Dear all, response is fast and useful! Have arranged some subzero folk on site. Good to get this first opinion.

Just in case, I need to absorb all cost,.....what is the part and labor cost I should expect for the evaporator replacement?...including recharge.

Please also help if anyone can explain " I saw water leak at top left foot at outside. Leak stop when I shut off the water feed to ice maker."

#6 wongro

wongro

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

The repairman said it is the evaporator leak and just replacing it part and labor is about 800.
He suggested that the evaporator, compressor and heat exchanger should be replaced. Parts and labor is about 1600. He explained that as the leak has been there for a long time, there could be moisture in the system that after evaporator replacement and recharge, the moisture stay in the sealed system may lead to other troubles.

Is the price reasonable? And is his recommendation make sense?
Also he said it uses R12. Is it?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Seems high. He's right a out the moisture but that should be assumed for any sealed system repair. Call SZ and see if they'll cover any of the parts.

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Your data plate will tell you what refrigerant in the system is....My book by model number indicates R-12......$ 800.00 for the evaporator job is at the high end of price range , all depends where you live...$500.00 for this repair in this neck of the woods :thumbsup: .....I would like sell the customer the whole job but if done right, you can get away with just the evaporator and 7.0 oz. charge with R12 ( or go R-416A replacement ) .......Or change the evaporator and the compressor to an R-134A system.....about $1000.00......VS....say in the neighborhood of $5000 to ?? $$$ :unsure: the cost of a new unit.... Ditto on asking Sub-O to replace the evaporator but at 21 years :unsure: .......... will not hurt to ask, good customer relations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics