Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Top Load Washer - sometimes doesn't spin and weak top agitation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cmck

cmck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Terminal Gravity IPA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi-

I've got a 10yr old kenmore top load (model 110.22952100).

Every once in a while, the basket won't spin during the spin cycle. The motor runs and pumps out the water, but the clothes will still be sopping wet. Probably 75% of the time, it spins without a problem, but the rest of the time it won't. When I notice it doesn't spin, I'll start the spin cycle up again. The motor will kick in like it's spinning, but when I lift up the lid the basket ain't movin'. If I push the basket counterclockwise a couple inches, and shut the lid again, usually the basket will start spinning.

Searching this forum, I havent' found anything about intermittent spin problems. Any ideas?

Also, the top agitator seems to be weak. The bottom agitator seems to be fine, but the top agitator usually just flops back and forth. If I apply a little pressure to the top of the agitator, it will advance a quarter turn at a time. But usually it just flops back and forth. I know agitator dogs could be a problem, but that wouldn't affect the spin cycle... or does it?

Any advice?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

... but when I lift up the lid the basket ain't movin'. If I push the basket counterclockwise a couple inches, and shut the lid again, usually the basket will start spinning.

... after the Water Pumps out, try just lifing the Lid for about 5 seconds without moving anything ..
then close the Lid...
Spin ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 cmck

cmck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

i've tried just opening the lid, and the machine still won't spin. I didn't wait 5 seconds though. I can try that the next time it doesn't spin. Is the 5 second wait important?

Also, I tried to take the agitator off to look at the dogs. After I've got the dust cap pulled out, there isn't a nut to remove to let me pull the agitators out. Theres just this plastic thing holding the agitator down. How do I get that out?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Is the 5 second wait important?

YES

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like you have the famous neutral drain problem. Got some good diagnostic info ratcheer.

#6 cmck

cmck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

I checked the washer for neutral drain problem... and the basket is spinning while draining. I never noticed it before. Basket spins pretty fast at the end of the drain, then stops for a few seconds and starts the "for real" spin cycle. So I'm about to order a new transmission.

I have a problem though... I can't figure out how to get the agitator out. I take off the fabric softener dispenser, and then remove the dust cap with the o-ring on it. I'm looking for a 7/16" nut to take off, but I don't see any nut. Just a yellowish plastic thingy. I've tried pulling the plastic thingy out with needle nose pliers but it don't budge. I'll try to attach a picture of it. How do I get the friggin agitator out?

#7 cmck

cmck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

Pic of agitator attached.Attached File  washer2.jpg   68.22KB   3 downloads

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

OR you could replace a part inside the Transmission ...

#9 cmck

cmck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

Because the transmission is attached to a shaft, and the shaft is attached the agitator. If I can't detach the shaft from the agitator, then I can't get the transmission out.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

1/2" drive socket extension without a socket to remove plastic center agitate cam retainer, so you can replace the agitate dogs so top auger section works correctly.

You really don't need to replace the transmission because it spins when it drains, the neutral drain not working is a pretty common problem in these. When the direct drives were first produced in 1982 the first year or two of production didn't have neutral drain, (they would spin the tub the whole time it was draining and the timers didn't have the pause).

Sometimes if you haven't let the washer agitate for at least 10 minutes before you put it into a spin cycle the neutral drain won't work, usually when washer is in a cold room this condition occurs.

The intermittent no spin sounds more like a possible worn out clutch, (most likely - if when spinning the silver clutch bell is turning and spin basket isn't then you don't have a transmission problem), or a stripped drive block.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics