Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Washer Tub disassembly WFW9400SW01

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

Assuming the tub is removed from the cabinet, what are the proper procedures to disassemble the tub?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

With a marker of some sort, mark on the outer tub, both front and rear sides where the silver clips are clipped on. Then start popping the clips off with a flatbade screwdriver. With the clips all off, the two halves will separate. The inner basket will stay on the rear tub if you still have the pulley attached.

Why are you taking it apart?
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

It's making the "bad bearing" roar during the spin cycle.

Thanks

#4 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

Replace the rear outer tub and the inner stainless basket as well or you will have a leak or a ruined bearing again. Don't forget to put a new tub gasket on as well. There's nothing worse than putting everything together and having the tub seam leak!

#5 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

I have separated the tub halves. I assume that in order to remove the basket from the rear tub I should remove the pulley wheel from the tub. However the large bolt holding in the wheel is not moving. Any advice on how to separate the basket from the tub is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#6 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Wedge a screwdriver or 2 between the back of the tub the spokes of the pulley. Then it's just brute force to get it off. Don't worry about cracking the rear tub section as you will be replacing it anyway.

#7 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Success!

Thanks!

#8 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

I have observed the following: The spindle on the basket has light rust, but looks ok otherwise. The spider supporting the basket is intact, but is covered with what looks like a mixture of dried soap and fabric bits. The rear of the tub half looks ok, the bearing there spins ok. Theres light rust on the metal housing under where the belt wheel would be. Looking into the inside of the rear tub half, the bearing there is rusty, was binding but spun more freely with some cleaning.

I am guessing from this that moisture has somehow found its way behind the basket and into the spindle/bearing area, causing the bearing to rust. if so, then the bearing is not the root of the problem. Any comments on diagnosing this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#9 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Replace the inner basket which comes with the shaft and replace the outer rear tub which contains the bearing. Both parts should still be under warranty. Do not just replace the bearing, it will leak again. Even though the shaft looks good, it will be slightly worn from the bearing running on it.

#10 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Whirlpool tells me that all warranties on this machine are expired (purchased 2008).

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

The warranty for this model:
ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
For one year from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or
furnished with the product, Whirlpool Corporation or Whirlpool Canada LP (hereafter “Whirlpool”) will pay for Factory Specified Parts
and repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship. Service must be provided by a Whirlpool designated service company.
This limited warranty applies only when the major appliance is used in the country in which it was purchased.

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 23 May 2011 - 08:43 AM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Sorry - my mistake. I'm in Canada - the warranties might be different here. Most of the tub bearings I've done had the inner and outer basket still under some limited warranty.

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

hhmm .. ALL of the Whirlpool Duet WFW9200 / WFW9400's only show a ONE YEAR WARRANTY
all link to Kitchenaid / Canada:
http://www.kitchenai...208183052-W.pdf

for the Whirlpool Duet GHW's

ONE-YEAR FULL WARRANTY (ALL parts & labor)

and the folowing parts:
SECOND YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON ALL ELECTRONIC CONTROL BOARDS

SECOND THROUGH FIFTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON PORCELAIN OR POWDER TOP, DRIVE SYSTEM BELT AND PULLEYS

SECOND THROUGH TENTH YEAR LI MITED WARRANTY ON OUTER TUB

LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY ON STAINLESS STEEL WASH DRUM

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 amkcl1

amkcl1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

When re-assembling the tub/basket/motor, how do I know when the large bolt securing the drive-belt wheel to the tube/basket assembly is tight enough? It seems to loosen after a running a load of wash.

Thanks!

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

Topics merged.

You have 5 topics going for the same problem. I've merged the two most recent one. Next time, we squeeze your nutz in a vice..Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics