Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Appliance connection HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Enrique

Enrique

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Port royal

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Attached File  photo.JPG   87.47KB   8 downloadsAttached File  photo.JPG   87.47KB   8 downloadsHello,

I just moved in to a apartment which had previously a stack combo washer and dryer, and this area has only one outlet which does not look like the typical 3 phase, it has 4 (see image), my best guess is that this single outlet in this laundry has 220 and 110 combined. I have two separate units (washer and dryer) that I would love to use yet I am in need of a direction if it even exist. what I am wondering if there is out there a outlet that could plug in to the one on the wall that could split the 220 and 110 into two separate outlets (moreless like a "Y"), anybody out there I would appreciate your help, thank.

Enrique
Attached File  photo.JPG   87.47KB   8 downloads

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

From what I can see in the picture, That is four wire connection, single phase ( not 3 phase ) outlet.... A three wire connection does not have the round terminal on the top...... .......The round 'top' terminal is the GROUND, the two outer vertical terminal are 'L1' and 'L2'.... the bottom 'L' is the neutral terminal ( 'L') designates a 30 amp. breaker at the panel..... A vertical terminal at the bottom and is the size of L1 and L2 is a identifier for a range/50 amp............ you will need a licensed electrician to add a 120 v. a.c. from that 240 outlet....if it was your own home you could possibly do it your self.....BUT in your apartment, if you have an electrical fire , guess who is the guilty party..... :blink: I have not seen a 'Y' to branch 240 and a 120...I have on my service van , an adapter to go from 240 to an 120 outlet... 240 range to 120 for a gas range...

#3 Enrique

Enrique

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thank for the reply.

#4 Enrique

Enrique

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I am wodering if you have ever seen a 4 prong spliter into 3 prong 220 and 110 prong as well : /

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

You could have the Dryer Cord changed to a 4-wire cord.
Newer National Electrical codes require Dryers with 3-wire cords be changed to a 4-wire cord.
Also 120v Washers should have their own Outlet (w/ appropriate Circuit Breaker)
Is there a regular 120v outlet nearby ?
Otherwise your only option would be to buy a stacked washer / electric dryer.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Enrique

Enrique

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

no 120V near by, I will need to get an extension chord which is cheaper than a washer and dryer : ) , but it seem (after reading all the replies) that I can conver my 3 wire dryer to a four 4 chord as well, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics