Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer wont stop running...dial not moving!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 cypsteel

cypsteel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

Does this indicate the timer? Dryer works fine just we have to manually open the door to stop it.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

Same malfunction on timed dry as well as automatic?  If so, then the next step would be to open the control panel and test the continuity of the timer motor; also test whether or not it's getting 120vac while the dryer is running in timed dry mode. 

#3 TyrranzzX

TyrranzzX

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

Since the dryer runs just fine, and it's a dial, that probably means water/lint built up until the point that the dial got clogged. I'm unsure as to how the dial itself works although I'd guess it uses some kind of clockwork mechanism like a coo-coo clock to operate on and when it gets to a certain point it'll hit a switch, trapping the dial into one spot and tripping the control system to stop running the washer.

You can probably open it up and vaccume it out. Worst case scenario, you blow $30 on a new dial or better yet, get a fancy schmancy extension cord, plug one end into the wall and the other end into an electric timer and then plug the washer into an electric timer if you don't want to touch the internals. I don't see any harm in just leaving it broke so long as it turns off somehow before things catch on fire or melt.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

[user=424]TyrranzzX[/user] wrote:

Since the dryer runs just fine, and it's a dial, that probably means water/lint built up until the point that the dial got clogged.   I'm unsure as to how the dial itself works although I'd guess it uses some kind of clockwork mechanism like a coo-coo clock to operate on and when it gets to a certain point it'll hit a switch, trapping the dial into one spot and tripping the control system to stop running the washer.

:laffinatchoo:  That's gotta be one of the goofiest explanations about how dryer timers work that I've ever heard!  Good one!   

#5 TyrranzzX

TyrranzzX

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

:P

I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY WORK!!!! :(

Once I take something apart it sticks with me.

That, and I have momentary dyslexia :P.

#6 cypsteel

cypsteel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

I wanted to say thank you for both of your replies. I will check both suggestions and be posting back tommorrow!

#7 cypsteel

cypsteel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:13 AM

Ok...took off the back of the timer portion of the dryer.   Geez, I didn't think there was so much to a dryer :shock:

I do have a little electrical experience, so i started poking around.   It does appear to me at first glance that the timer motor is bad.  I am getting 120vac probing the two red circle points in the attached picture.    The picture is blurry but the red points both feed the timer motor at the green point.

While I was poking around, it also appears that the start button is stuck to constantly closed.  It appears in the schematic that it should be momentary.  I have disconnected power and tested the button just by itself and it appears to be stuck.  Maybe two seperate problems?

Thanks for everyones help!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Same malfunction on timed dry as well as automatic? 

What's the answer to this question?

Your photo was too blurry to be useful so I deleted it.  You're welcome to post a better quality image. 

The timer motor wires are easy to identify:  they're the only two wires coming out of the timer motor! 

#9 cypsteel

cypsteel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:10 AM

Yes...I have been testing on timed dry to eliminate moisture sensors and tempature sensors.

#10 cypsteel

cypsteel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:42 AM

So should I buy the timer and a start button?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:45 AM

Check the power resistor.  If it's good, replace the timer.

#12 goat314

goat314

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar issue with a dryer I bought used. 70 series Kenmore. Dial doesnt move in auto cycles. Does stop running if I manually move the knob. The Timed dryer DOES work and cut off appropriately. I've read that it's a temp or moisture sensor or something like that, just need to know what I'm looking for so I can replace it. Besides the auto cycle not stopping, the dryer runs perfect. Thanks for your help.

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

Goat314 need the model numbrer off the dryer, open the door and get it.  Is the dryer heating? If not it will advance in timed but not automatic.  If it is heating it will not advance in auto if the air flow from the dryer is blocked....If it is heating try it with the vent off to see if it is a blocked house vent problem first..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#14 goat314

goat314

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Model # 96573120

Dryer heats perfectly, just doesn't advance the knob in auto cycles.

Knob does not advance with the vent off.

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

The dryer advances in auto thru the heat curcuit and the resister beside/on the timer, check the resister to see if it is defective...

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

Good advice on the power resistor. Could look like this or this.

#17 goat314

goat314

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:19 AM

Thanks very much, funny enough, it was as simple as 1 of the wire clips coming loose from the resistor. Works perfectly now.

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Welcome....;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics