Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag washer Mfw9600

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

My front load washer hasn't been draining very well and I would get the F02 error. I cleaned out all the junk from the drain plug, and it worked just fine for a few loads, but stopped working again, this time it won't spin either. I removed the pump, and nothing is stuck in the propeller thing. I put it back on and ran a drain/spin cycle, and the pump seems to be trying to pump, but the water just won't drain.

This is my first time trying to fix an appliance, so please be gentle :)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 gcw1

gcw1

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

First thing I would do is take the pump out and make sure nothing is blocking the inlet from the machine to the pump and the outlet from the pump to the house drain. If all clear, with the power off stick you finger in the pump so you can spin the impeller to make sure it is spins ok should have some resistance when spinning.

#3 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thank you for the reply. I did what you said, there's no blockage in the inlet or outlets to the pump, and the impeller spins fine with the slight resistance. So what's next?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

how's the House Drain ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

I'm assuming that by house drain, you mean the drain in the wall, right? :) It looks clear, I poured some water in and it drained. I also took off the hose that goes from the washer to the drain, and made sure there wasn't any clogs in there.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

... you mean the drain in the wall, right? :)
... I poured some water in and it drained.

1) yes
2) may need to run a water hose down it to see if it eventually backs-up ...
or wait till the Washer stops Draining correctly, then have a look at the Wall Drain

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

1) yes
2) may need to run a water hose down it to see if it eventually backs-up ...
or wait till the Washer stops Draining correctly, then have a look at the Wall Drain

Alright, so I checked the drain after I got the error, and it looked the same as before... I took a picture into the drain since I can't get my eyeball over it ;) and it looked clear except maybe 3 feet or so down you can see the shiny spot from my flash, so I guess the water could be backed up to there? At any rate, I ran the rinse cycle with the drain hose going into a bucket instead of the wall drain, and it was able to go through the full cycle, with no drain errors, and I got about 1 1/2 gallons into the buckets. But I'm a little confused as to how that would be the problem... if the house drain had a plug, wouldn't it just overflow into the laundry room instead of just causing a drain error in the washer? Either way, I guess this means I need to call a plumber? Thank you for your help!

#8 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Ok....that might not have been the problem. I put it through another cycle, having it drain in the house drain, but holding the hose the whole time to watch the water level in the drain, and it still had the F02 error, and I never saw a problem in the drain, the water came out of the hose, and drained...I'm not sure why it drained fine into the bucket before, but it's not working again... Anything else it could be?

#9 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

it could be the pump ive had many of them work for a few loads then not work then work then not

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've had those pumps play games with me, too. Mrs, here's the pump for your washer...  http://www.repaircli...in-Pump/1200164

01032562.jpg
Click it to git it. One year warranty. If it doesn't fix the problem, return it for a refund.

#11 gcw1

gcw1

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

I found with these critters that the seal between the impeller and motor will go bad and fill the motor with water.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Good sleuthing, gcw!

#13 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

I don't think it's the pump, after watching it try draining, it looks like the pump is "sucking" for all it's worth. The black rubber drain coming from the drum is all contracted like the pump is "sucking" hard trying to get whatever it can, but something is blocking it maybe? When I looked in the black drain, all I could see was the plastic ball-like thing, nothing else..could something be stuck above that? And if so, how do I get behind the ball to see?

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

The black rubber drain coming from the drum is all contracted like the pump is "sucking" hard trying to get whatever it can, but something is blocking it maybe?

I'd say that's a Bingo! Reach waaaay up in there all the way to the tub and snatch them panties outta there.

#15 Mrswnke

Mrswnke

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

Well now, that seemed to be the problem! A re-usable nursing pad was stuck right above the drain ball, or whatever you call it. Took a bit of manuvering through the drain hose to get it out. Thank you all for helping me figure out the problem! Guess I mostly just needed a sounding board...not bad for a first time appliance fixer eh? lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics