Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
acmartina

Wine cooler stopped cooling! (Magic Chef MCWC50DST)

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a 50 bottle wine refrigerator made by Magic Chef (Model MCWC50DST). It sits out in my garage. I have had it for about 3 years and it has worked fine summer and winter keeping it around 60 deg (I live in Texas - mild winter, hot summer). However, as it has warmed up this spring, it has ceased to keep up. It has crept up to 72 deg.

When I open it up, I can hear it running but it sort of fades in and out on a 1-2 second interval. I cannot tell if it is cooling at all or just poorly. I know little about the unit. I poked around the internet looking for a repair manual and posted in the Repair Manual forum here with no luck, but I would presume it is not too different from a refrigerator?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!! Domo gozaimashita!

Stev

Not so cool in Texas ...

Edited by acmartina

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

what do you mean at one or 2 sec. intervals? do you hear a clicking noise? can you tell if the compressor is running?

No clicking. I can hear a motor running (presumably the compressor). What I mean by the 1-2 second interval is the motor noise is modulated - i.e. it gets louder and softer at a regular interval (hmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm).

Not sure if that means anything. I confess that I never really listened to it before. Maybe that is normal.

I am a novice at refrigeration, but I am guessing it works much like an air conditioner with a compressor, a coolant (freon or substitute), and evaporator coils somewhere. Assuming what I hear is the compressor running, then what else would prevent it from cooling? Problem with coolant?

Thanks.

Steve

Can you post a video with sound so we can hear it? I'm guessing a surging fan. But hearing the actual noise would provide more clues.

I also would love to hear a sound clip of the noise

if there is a fan beside the compressor just unplug the wire going to it.

then you should be able to determine if the compressor is running either

by sound or vibration. If the compressor is running and you not cooling

then its time to go shopping.

Thanks. I removed the back panel. I took a snapshot (attached). The compressor (left) is running and is hot to the touch. There is a small fan blowing over the coils (right) that is also running.

I moved the unit out from the wall for access and the modulations seemed to go away. That part may have been a vibration of the wine racks or something.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Steve

post-8911-0-66233900-1306676997_thumb.jp

If the compressor is running and its not cold inside then you have a sealed system problem, most likely a gas leak. Its not worth the repair $500 +. time to go shopping.

Is there any frost on the Evaporator Coils inside the Fridge ?

Can you make a movie with your camera, upload it to YouTube and post the link here so we can hear the noise?

. . . My wine fridge wining ...

. . . There is no frost on the coils. They are room temperature. The compressor is hot to the touch.

. . . This video is private.

. . . time to go shopping