Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag LA412 Washer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:budweiser beer

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

Back with another repair of my dependable care Maytag washer. Washer started leaking today and after investigating source and going through the repair manuals you all provided back in April, looks like stem seal is the cause. I want to be sure what to order and I know I need the spaner wrench too. Just want to be sure I did my due diligence on the source of the leak and know what to purchase from you all.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

What I'd like to know is should I buy the tub spin seal kit or is there something else I need? What's the part number on appliantology please?

#3 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

this link should do ya

yo stuff
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

You're on the right track. This page explains the job to you...

How to Replace the Mounting Stem/Seal and Tub Bearing in a Maytag Dependable Care Washer

You'll need both the mounting stem and tub bearing:

Mounting Stem and Seal Kit

Tub Bearing Repair Kit

#5 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

From what I've read I'll need the grease too. Is that a correct?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

From what I've read I'll need the grease too.

Where did you read that?

I don't recall using any grease on this job but it's been a couple years.

#7 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Somewhere it said about using a lubricant for the bearing. May be wrong on this though.

#8 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

No lubricant DO NOT use lubricant on the bearing sleeve

you can apply a small amount of dish soap on the outside rubber portion
to make it easier to insert it into the metal outer tub as well as
a little on the bottom inside diameter of the boot to assist sliding it down on the inside lip of the outer tub.

you dont want any lubricant to get on the bearing sleeve, housing, or the face of the bakelite seals and should make sure
they are clean and dry using a paper towel before installing. sometimes some grease gets on the face of the seals when they package the part. the boot seal does have grease inside that gets squished out sometimes.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#9 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the advice on NO LUBRICANT. I 'll be sure to follow your directions for the install. Transferring $$ to my paypal account so I can order the parts.

#10 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Replacement parts and spanner wrench delivered yesterday from Repair Clinic and I've successfully removed the inner tub. But have a problem getting the mount stem off. After removing the Allen screw and using the spanner wrench and hammer turning clockwise I just seem to be turning the transmission rather than loosening the mount. See photo - Any suggestions?

Attached Files

#11 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

Finally got the mount stem off. Disregard previous request for suggestions.

#12 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Outer tub and bearing now removed. I'm on step 22 of the text instructions 'Samurai Appliance Repair Man" attached on 5-29-2011. What's the "metal sleeve collar on the transmission shaft? I also have the manuals I got from you all some time ago and can't find a reference to metal sleeve collar. Gonna keep workin here. Need some clean cloths.

Attached Files

#13 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

The new mounting stem seal came with a metal sleeve but it doesn't fit over the trans shaft. Perhaps a difference in trans shaft than what it's thought to be? With tub seal firmly in place in outer tub it fits snuggly over trans shaft without wobble.

Attached Files

#14 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

All's well. Put everything back together, then did some more research on makin sure I was puttin the tub cover gasket and band back on right. Found out I didn't do my homework on the "metal sleeve". It didn't come off cause it's more or less welded to the tranny shaft. Got out the butane torch I use for sweatin copper water pipe, heated the thing up and chisseled is out, being careful not to damage the tranny shaft. Got it off in pieces. Then used some very, very fine sand paper to clean the tranny shaft and put the new "metal sleve" on. Wife home from work now but got to test the machine in spin cyle (no vibration or unbalanced innner tub). Gonna spend time with some more brew and the wife now - nice cool night out in the back yard.

Not much more to do but get the drum cover tightened down, reconnect the left side water tube, fasten down the top cover and do a test wash. More to follow.

Want to say, wouldn't have, couldn't have, done this without you guys. It wasn't that hard of a job and I'm sure I saved 100"s over havin a repair guy come over and do this. Thanks so much.

Here's what's left of the old sleeve.

Attached Files

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Nice job! Very dramatic removal of the tub bearing. Don't recall ever having to get quite so medieval on one of those beasties but they do like their rust like a sailor like his rum. Posted Image

#16 frankr

frankr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Time well spent and money well saved on this repair. Put the old Maytag through a complete wash, rinse, spin cycle. NO LEAKS!!! Won't be callin the Maytag guy for any other repairs. The dryer's a Maytag too so if it fails me I'll whoop it back into shape. :cheers:

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics