Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***CLICK HERE AND READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Dave947

Kenmore Front Load Washer, Model # 417.42142100

15 posts in this topic

My Kenmore/ Sears front load energy star washer stopped agitating/spinning yesterday. When I run it the water drains but, as I said, no agitation (other than my own). I've got it pulled out, unplugged, ready to trouble shoot... where do I start?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Remove the front panel and see if the belt is broken.

The belt is not broken.

Does the Tub move at all on it's own ?

Nope, not as of yesterday.

Okay, I got to step 2 on the flow chart; the resistance between 1 and 2 was good but 2-3, and 1-3 was shot. On the flow chart you provided the result is a defective motor. On the tech sheet for the washer it recommends replacing the speed control board. Any thoughts?

Should have mentioned that I checked the resistance at the molex as well and there seems to be one open plug. I also pulled the belt off and when I plugged the washer back up the motor did rotate. Am I just using my voltmeter wrong...?

ALSO-- when I put the belt back, plugged it back in, and gave it a spin a few times manually from the back, the spin cycle kicked in. This leads me to believe that it's not the motor but perhaps the speed control board after all. Any thoughts on this??

maybe ... or a bad connection somewhere

test again

also, what reading did you get "1-3 was shot" ?

I'm getting a little over 1ohms for 1-2 and nothing for 2-3 and 1-3. Just checked it again.

Finally, per the flowchart, I tested the volts between pin 5 of the 6 pin plug and the following pins of the 10 pin plug: 1,2,6,9,10.

Here are my readings:

1- 120v

2- nothing

6- nothing

9-nothing

10-120v

This, of course, does not match the outcomes for diagnoses per the flowchart.

Samurai, help a brother out... I priced out a new motor ($150) and a new speed control board ($151) from Sears. What is your best guess?

Just put in the speed control board from repairclinic.com and it has not fixed the problem. Am I looking at a new motor at this point and (have I possibly ruined this new speed control board?) Could the wire harnesses be bad between the motor and the control board?

New motor.

New speed control board.

No change, still not working....

Any other ideas at this point???