Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air double oven M#WW27430W

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

This customer, who is a friendly acquaintance from church, has THE oven to teach me the importance of basic repair katas

The first time I showed up for repair, this switch (http://www.repaircli...Number=WW27430W) failed, preventing the oven from going into clean. "No problem," I said; part's available in Macon and I'll be back to fix it. After replacing the door switch, I quickly buttoned up the cabinet and headed on my way (the customer was on her way out of town; it was Friday). Here I 1.) neglected to perform a cleaning test, and, more importantly, 2.) failed to apprise the customer of the messy nature of her self-cleaning mechanism--including a relay board, a motor, and another switch.

Not explaining and preparing this customer for these possibilities. She cleaned the oven, locked up the motor, and (reluctantly) called me back.

My second trip involves a merry-go-round with Whir-Tag tech support, and learning about parts replacement.

First, technical literature and support. Many domos to Reg, who, as always, provides the correct kata manual when we grasshoppas need them. Unfortunately, in this particular instance, the service portion of the manual doesn't apply. Whirl-Tag technical support informed me of the impossibility of putting this oven into the service described in the technical literature. Be careful, fellows; keep this post in mind when working on Jenn-Air products. Sometimes a grasshoppa has to grab ahold of his tools and an experienced samurai to defeat a particularly recalcitrant appliance.

Second, the spinning wheel. After replacing the bottom lock motor, I learned the oven wouldn't self-clean (pleasing many in this dojo). Pulled the new motor (ASSuming the customer could cook with the old), and replaced with the old motor. Learned the customer couldn't bake or broil with the old motor, BUT couldn't clean with the new motor. After two motor swaps, the customer's husband and I witnessed an oven fully able to bake, and, thankfully, he told me he'd get his bride some foil basins to catch the drippings.

Lessons learned (from my perspective):
1. ALWAYS perform a test of the replaced part, and surrounding neighbors;
2. alert the customer of the tentative nature of the repair (given time, other parts, etc.);
3. technical support is like insurance: you don't need it until you need it, and then you REALLY need it;
4. calm down and think how to TEST what's wrong (tech guy told me to pull lock power wires, testing for current from the relay board);
5. repair work isn't algebra (with one variable);
6. if possible, order other parts (on credit, or from plug-and-try types like www.repairclinic.com) in the area of the initial repair;
7. finally, be straight IMMEDIATELY with your customer.
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics