Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Dryer DHDSR46EE1WW Grinding Noise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JeffDa

JeffDa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Corona

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

The video above shows my GE electric dryer making this noise. I have pulled it apart and put it back together. One of the glides on top of the door is cracked, but stays in place. The belt is intact, though has a slight bit of fraying on on side edge. I checked the blower wheel and it spins freely when the belt is disconnected but does not hang and does not rattle. The plastic on the bearing on the back of the drum does move back and forth if I move it. I can attached a different video if someone needs to see that. The drum does still turn but the noise is quite loud as you will see. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Jeff

The model number is DHDSR46EE1WW. Thanks again!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Open her back up, remove the belt from the drum, put the front panel back on, keep the top up and spin the drum by hand really fast. If it spins quietly and smoothly, replace the motor.

Posted Image
Click image to purchase.

#3 JeffDa

JeffDa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thank you for your reply! The above link shows the drum spinning without the belt. The knock at the very end is my hand slipping inside the drum :) Is the motor still likely the culprit then I take? If so, I will buy from your site!

This dryer was $350 that I bought 5 yrs ago. Do you think it is wise to spend a little over $100 to repair this one, or should I try to find a dryer on sale that is brand new? Just wasn't sure if you thought it would be worth putting this money back into it. Thank you so much for all your help!

Jeff

#4 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Did you try to run the motor without the belt?

Use the time-dry without heat to do so.

From your 2nd video there are two long marks on the drum. This seems that the drum has been touching something while rotating.
The Seven

#5 JeffDa

JeffDa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Great idea. I tested the motor without the belt and once it got up to speed (about 30 seconds in) it started making the same noise. Would it definitely be the motor, or is it possible it is the blower wheel? I wasn't sure if the blower wheel would spin if the belt is not attached. If I were to replace the motor, is that difficult to do? Thank you both for all your assistance!

#6 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

The blower wheel is directly coupled to the motor and will rotate even without the belt.

It is most probable that you either have a faulty motor or the blower wheel is loosened.
The Seven

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:02 AM

Loose blower wheels are very common on these GE dryers. I've seen it happen many times and the noise in your video is the classic case of the loose blower wheel.
Scott Wolf

#8 JeffDa

JeffDa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

That would be ideal if it were the blower wheel and not the motor. If it is loose, what is the proper way to tighten it? I see a nut on the front of it, is that the only way to tighten it? Thank you all again!

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

This blower wheel is held on by a "trick-but" nut-- it'll trick you into thinking it's on goodntight BUT it ain't. It can also mask a wallered out blower. Remove the bolt completely and inspect the blower wheel, compare to a new one:

Posted Image
(Click image for larger view)

Re-assemble, crank it down goodntight, and try it again. Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics