Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Knocking from AC carrier 38CKC060300

printgoon

Hi have a new home home and last year the AC unit would intermittently knock very loudly..it sounds as if it has thrown a rod(if it was a combustion engine). When it has been especially loud only warm air blowns. I have visually inspected it and the fan is turning freely. It may cycle 3 to 15 times between the times it knocks loudly. I have had it serviced every spring, including a week ago, all the techs have been advised of this problem, for which I receive the response.."yeah these units are known for being loud" when I advise that warm air blown during the "loud knocking " times they get a wierd oh crap look. Any ideas, I am in central cal and when its 100 degrees and 6 days out for a repair visit I would rather have a part replaced now. Last summer I had someone watching my home when he heard a loud bang, in which they replaced 2 switched to the toon of $300 bucks. I had the loud knocking before and after the repair. Any ideas?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intermittent knock? Steady knock, like a rhythm? How long does it last? Is the condensor fan running smoothly during the knocking, or look like it is starting and stopping? Can you observe the behavior of the contactor? Don't do this if you have never been around 230 VAC before.

Short cycle protection delay circuit failure...maybe...?

Only data I can find is for a 50 Hz unit.

You never said how old the unit is. Age of a unit is helpful sometimes. The serial number has the date (week)(month)(year)(example -1 6 98 ) first week of June in 1998 ( in the first 5 or 6 digits) . Units older that 10 years are subject to failures.

What you describe is a major indication that the compressor is failing. Something is coming loose from time to time in the compressor. Sooner or later that something is not gonna go back where it belongs, and then you have no cool - forever.

The KABOOM !!!! noise your housesitter heard was likely a start capacitor (or a KICKSTART) exploding . It can be kinda errrrr......explosive sometimes excl.gif.

The kaboom was unrelated to your knocking problem. It is as simple as the compressor is broken and needs replacing.

SORRY. confused.gif

I suspected it might have been slamming on and off, but a faulty compressor is a much simpler explanation. Occam's Razor.

Archived