Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 417.44082400 Front Loader will not go into spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SiriusDoggy

SiriusDoggy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dr. Pepper

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

As stated in the title, I have a Kenmore model# 417.44082400 Front load washing machine that we've had for a few years now. Other than the drain pump going out about a year ago (That I replaced) the machine has worked well.
Starting yesterday with a load of heavy towels when I went to put them in the dryer I noticed they were soaking wet and weighed a ton. Obviously the machine did not kick into the spin cycle. On the next normal load of clothes it worked fine so I chalked it up to a heavy load of towels and maybe it got off balance and shut down early.
Well, now today that I'm trying to finish the laundry for the weekend it is doing it again on all loads. Needless to say I'm bummed. I put it on the Rinse/Spin cycle and watched it work. It fills with water starting with a 13minute countdown, tumbles around for a few minutes and then the pump goes to work draining all the water. All good so far but when the pump finishes draining the water with about 8 minutes left on the timer it just stops.
I haven't pulled the back panel off yet to check the drive belt but seeing as how the drum is turning slow on the agitate mode I figured the belt was ok???? Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

Your belt is ok. Take the back off and check all the electrical connections. Unplug and replug. Take the top off and do the same. Should be 2 or 3 screws on the back of the top panel to remove. Also check the door latch connections. The door latch failure is a common problem with these washers. To test it, put it in the spin cycle and let it go for a couple minutes. Then unplug the washer and see if the door opens right away. If it does then the door latch has failed. If it stays locked for up to a minute than the problem is elsewhere.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,969 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

After following Santa's advice and you still have a problem, don't rule out a pump/drain issue. Check to make sure that there is not a small clog in the pump. It is possible that only the water you see (tub level) is being pumped out but there may be more water left that is not draining. These machines will not spin unless all water is removed. This may not be your problem but is the easiest to check. If lots of water come out after you disconnect the hose to the pump, then something is preventing all the water from being drained.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 05 June 2011 - 10:38 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 SiriusDoggy

SiriusDoggy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

Durham - the pump and line is the first thing I checked since that was the part I changed out last year. When I removed the hose from the pump only a small amount of water (about the amount that would fill the lower end of the hose.) remained. I checked for obstructions and there were none.
I followed Santa's advice and first checked all the electrical connections. Everything seemed to be well connected. I then did as he suggested and ran it for a few minutes then unplugged it and i was able to open the door immediately. If I read his suggestion right it sounds like the door latch is my problem but I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. The machine will run through all the normal steps and the "Door Locked" indicator turns on. While it's running, the door cannot be opened. But as soon as it finishes pumping all of the water out and should start the first spin instead it stops and beeps as though it's finished. So does that still sound like the door latch and if so is this something a DIYer with little (no) experience can change out?

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

That is the classic door latch failure. The latch has 2 functions. The door locking in wash mode allows you to push pause and open the door right away to add clothes. The door lock in spin mode prevents you from opening the door while the drum is spinning at 1,000,000,000 RPM's so you don't get your arm ripped off. It's a good safety to have if you like to DLWI. Do Laundry While Intoxicated. You can reach down the inside front of the washer to remove the door latch. A couple screws on the front of the door to remove the latch assy. Some prefer to peel the door boot back enough to access the latch that way. It's a simple job. Here's your part http://www.repaircli...er=417.44082400

Edited by SANTA, 05 June 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,630 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Door latch for your washer:
01235823.jpg
Click image to purchase.

#7 SiriusDoggy

SiriusDoggy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

thanks for the reassurance that this is the problem. I just ordered the part with 2-day shipping so I should have it here and installed Wed. evening. I'll report back after the installation and let you guys know how it went.
Thanks - I love this site!

#8 SiriusDoggy

SiriusDoggy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

I just wanted to report back that the part arrived today, I installed it, and it is working GREAT now!
I'm so happy I found this site, I've even shared it with my friends on Facebook and I also just bought you a case of beer. Enjoy!

#9 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

I like happy endings.:pint1: :cheers: :drunkass: :beermug:

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tips for diagnosing a no-spin problem with a Frigidaire / Kenmore front load washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 05 June 2011 - 04:45 AM

Take the back off and check all the electrical connections. Unplug and replug. Take the top off and do the same. Should be 2 or 3 screws on the back of the top panel to remove. Also check the door latch connections. The door latch failure...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics