Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

Greetings oh great one,

I have a KitchenAid Dishwasher

Model: KUDI01TJWH0

Serial: FM0239XXX

And a number stamped inside the door: 678792004

When I push the start button and release, nothing happens.

When I push the start button and hold it for about 10 seconds the NORMAL wash light blinks a few times and then goes blank.

If I push the HIGH TEMP button and/or ENGERY SAVINGS DRY buttons, they light up, however nothing turns on when I push the start button.

If I push the CANCEL/DRAIN button, the washer kicks on and sounds like it is draining, of course it is bone dry in the washer with no blockages, just pretty stainless steel.

The lock button lights up after being pushed for four seconds and then again unlocks. 

What gives, why won't this thing wash dishes?  How do I fix it? 

:gimmebeer:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Sounds like the control board is fried.

Posted Image

#3 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

What is the average lifespan on this type of part?  As I said, I don't know for sure the age of this KitchenAid dishwaser, but I believe it to be less than 4 years old.  I'm wondering if this model KitchenAid is prone to problems?  Should I scrap the thing and buy a more reliable product/brand? 

Thanks,

Scott  in Greenfield, IN

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:51 PM

[user=426]noknock[/user] wrote:

What is the average lifespan on this type of part? 

3.482 years, standard deviation of 2.876 years

Should I scrap the thing and buy a more reliable product/brand?  

So you can go through the same experience on another dishwasher? 

Current repair stats on new appliances are that you'll be doing some type of repair on them every two to four years.  How much is a new oneHow long should appliances last?

#5 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:22 AM

Good points. 

I replaced the control board as you suggested.  This did not change anything but my blood pressure.  Here I sit on a Saturday morning thinking that I may have to actually wash dishes by hand.  I need more suggestions as to make this thing work, I'm running out of paper plates and plastic silverware.  What is the next suggestion?       

:yikes:

#6 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

Are there any other control boards or computer chips in this dishwasher that may be bad?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

According to the wiring diagram for your dishwasher, that's the only control board present. There is a touch panel that can go bad, but the symptoms you described led me to the control board.

Have you verified that you're getting good, steady voltage to the control board?

#8 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

No, but I will.  Thanks for the quick response.  I wouldn't think that the pad is bad because every light comes on when each button is pushed.  Very strange, maybe I need to make some kind of ritual sacrifice to appease the appliance gods.

#9 Lurker_dumbluck_*

Lurker_dumbluck_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

I had the same problem with my 5 year-old Kenmore 655.15812990 this morning.  After reading this thread I took the door apart to just look and see if anything jumped out at me.  Nothing did.  However, when I put it back together, it started working just fine.  The only thing I really did was jiggle some of the control board connections and make sure everything was seated firmly.  My guess is that it was something with the door latch that had come loose somehow.  I emphasize guess because I have absolutely no idea what I was doing.  Sometimes dumb luck is better than good luck!

#10 noknock

noknock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thanks dumbluck for the post.  I just finally ended up having a repair guy come out .  I already was already over $80.00 into this project and really didn't konw what I was doing.  It turned out to be the front touch pad, the start button was fried.

The repairman was able to start the wash cycle in "Demo" mode by using a combination of the other buttons.  It started an abbreviated wash and drain cycle which led him to believe it was the touch button itself on the pad.

Thanks again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics