Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAV7000AWW-POS brake/bearing replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vsmurrell

vsmurrell

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:05 AM

Okay, so the POS isn't really part of the model number... but this Maytag IS a POS.

Just found out that Maytags aren't all Maytags - and I'm pissed.

But that's beside the point.

Our not-yet-5-year-old Maytag MAV7000AWW squeaks during spin and the nice repairman said it was the brake/bearing mechanism. He said it's not worth fixing,  to drive it like we stole it and then get a Whirlpool.

However, I'm wondering (since I am not even a grasshopper - more like a grasshopper sperm) if *I* can try to replace the parts.

Are there step-by-step directions someplace - sort of a repair your Maytag for dummies?

Thanks in advance...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:49 AM

Ned to me sounded like a squealing howl, I've always described the noise you are talking about as a rhythmic squawk. If it is your brake causing the noise, the part that usually goes bad is called the     BRAKE ROTOR & LINING ASM. part number 21002010. The part lists for about $15 dollars and with the proper tool takes less then 20 minutes to install through the bottom of the machine. The part it works in conjunction with is the stater and can be sanded down slightly with steel wool to remove any light scratches if you haven't as your repairman stated, rode it like you stole it for a year or so. Sounds like the repairman did not have the tool or gets kickbacks from the local Whirlpool dealer! There are posts in this forum on how to do it with out buying the $50-60 dollar tool by using longer bolts. I have always used the tool and have not done it this way so I do not feel comfortable recommending it. Hope this helps.            
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics