Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Noisy, Leaking; Whirlpool Portable Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomet777

Baphomet777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Whirlpool Portable Dishwasher

Stock Number DP8500X Serial Number FB 44 22541
Model Number DP8500XXN2

Heater 6.7 amps Motor5.3 amps
Total amps 11.0
60hz 120 volts

Got a noisy dishwasher -- According to the FAQ and the symptoms, it's likely a defective spin seal as the unit both leaks AND is very noisy. We had not used the unit for a while several months ago as I had a broken faucet connect that needed fixed. After resolving that, we ran the unit about two or three times before the noise got really really bad.

My question is this -- if I replace the spin seal, will that resolve the noise? I'm guessing not since the bearings are likely shot due to the persistence of the noise and water leak. Would it be more prudent to just replace the motor and if so, what kind of cost am I looking at to repair it -- Is there an alternatively cheaper method to replacing the bearings or is the motor swap the only means to ridding myself of the problem?

Thanks in advance!
When the blind leadeth the blind... get out of the way.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

You should replace the entire pump and motor assembly, as replacing the impeller seals is hard to do without a pump centering tool, and if the motor is noisy,yes your motor bearings are ruined.

Here is your pump and motor

:
http://www.repaircli...675748A/1065407
Scott Wolf

#3 Baphomet777

Baphomet777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Scott,

Based on the difficulty rating only being 2 out of 5 at the RepairClinic website, I'm assuming that this should be a fairly straightforward swap -- Would I be correct in this assumption? Any advice or tips that I should take into consideration before tearing into it? Do you happen to have a link to an exploded parts view of the unit or a teardown guide?

I'm going to order the part today, however the RepairClinic rep said that it may be a little while longer than normal before the part ships since they don't have it in stock... I'll post back with my questions/results during/after the swap.

thanks again!
When the blind leadeth the blind... get out of the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics