Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

  • Announcements

    • Samurai Appliance Repair Man

      ***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

      Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Frosty123

Kenmore Dryer and lots of SPARKS!

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

This morning when my wife pushed the button to start our Kenmore Dryer (solid state) sparks shot out of the back. Quite the show I was told 4th of July almost. A loud noise also erupted from the dryer. Now, even with it plugged up it will not even start almost as if it was dead.

I have pulled off the back panel and all the wires seem to be just fine / nothing is burned out. I pulled the back panel off the switch and timer controls and nothing is burned. The only thing that looked like it was burned was the start switch inside the clear box where the contact points are. The wires that connect to the start switch are just fine.

Help !!!!

Best Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I did find that the vent hose coming out of back was burned and it has the same smell as we smelled earlier when all the excitement happened. It is burned in only one place at the top and about the size of my thumb nail. There is also a small burn/scorch mark on top of the vent hose connection on the dryer itself. This is might explain why the sparks shot up from the back. Its as if it grounded out or something.

Help Me !!!!

Best

Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post some purdy pitchers of the various burn action you have going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here ya go....

burn mark on the housing and opposite on the hose it self.

post-61747-0-83650800-1307813421_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how's the House Circuit Breaker ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The house circuit breaker was tripped. The dyer is on its own breaker...it was tripped to orange. I turned it off and then turned it back on. I went inside and tested with a voltage meter to see if I had current and it does.

I am wondering if the it has burned out the the start switch. The problem with that theory is that when I plug in the dryer and try to test for current nothing is getting any current at all. I maybe doing it wrong....I really do not know. Is there a way to bypass something and try to get the dryer going or is that a big No, No?

Best

Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to use your meter to check for proper voltage at the dryer's power terminal strip in back, like ahso:

gallery_4_2_331285.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also check the heating element, it could have broke and shorted ( or something fell into the element ) .............For the burn mark on the vent , I would look to see if the vent is grounded to anything metal... I.E. metal pipe, water supply line...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen wires burned off above the power cord connections where you can't easily see the wires. I don't know your MODEL NUMBER but you'll have to get under the control panel to inspect the wires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samurais picture is where I am getting current. All the way to that terminal.

There are no burned wires.

There are no burned connections.

The light marked "240 volts" is on, on my meter.

I am NOT getting current at all to the start switch on the front control panel. The start switch has a black wire on one end and a white wire on the other. When you push the start button you are making the black wire connect via a strip of copper to the white wire. It looks just like the old points on an old alternator for a truck. That "point" is black and the clear plastic box around the entire switch is clean EXCEPT around the white wire where the "point" is making contact. It has a smoked look to it.

I want to thank you all who have taken the time to help me. I would love to fix this myself.

Best

Frosty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I don't know your MODEL NUMBER

and possibly a picture of that Start Switch ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites