Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer and lots of SPARKS!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frosty123

Frosty123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:1554

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hello,
This morning when my wife pushed the button to start our Kenmore Dryer (solid state) sparks shot out of the back. Quite the show I was told 4th of July almost. A loud noise also erupted from the dryer. Now, even with it plugged up it will not even start almost as if it was dead.

I have pulled off the back panel and all the wires seem to be just fine / nothing is burned out. I pulled the back panel off the switch and timer controls and nothing is burned. The only thing that looked like it was burned was the start switch inside the clear box where the contact points are. The wires that connect to the start switch are just fine.

Help !!!!

Best Frosty

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Frosty123

Frosty123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

I did find that the vent hose coming out of back was burned and it has the same smell as we smelled earlier when all the excitement happened. It is burned in only one place at the top and about the size of my thumb nail. There is also a small burn/scorch mark on top of the vent hose connection on the dryer itself. This is might explain why the sparks shot up from the back. Its as if it grounded out or something.

Help Me !!!!

Best
Frosty

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Post some purdy pitchers of the various burn action you have going on.

#4 Frosty123

Frosty123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

Here ya go....

burn mark on the housing and opposite on the hose it self.

Attached Files

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

how's the House Circuit Breaker ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Frosty123

Frosty123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

The house circuit breaker was tripped. The dyer is on its own breaker...it was tripped to orange. I turned it off and then turned it back on. I went inside and tested with a voltage meter to see if I had current and it does.

I am wondering if the it has burned out the the start switch. The problem with that theory is that when I plug in the dryer and try to test for current nothing is getting any current at all. I maybe doing it wrong....I really do not know. Is there a way to bypass something and try to get the dryer going or is that a big No, No?

Best
Frosty

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

Need to use your meter to check for proper voltage at the dryer's power terminal strip in back, like ahso:

Posted Image

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

I would also check the heating element, it could have broke and shorted ( or something fell into the element ) .............For the burn mark on the vent , I would look to see if the vent is grounded to anything metal... I.E. metal pipe, water supply line...

#9 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

I've seen wires burned off above the power cord connections where you can't easily see the wires. I don't know your MODEL NUMBER but you'll have to get under the control panel to inspect the wires.

#10 Frosty123

Frosty123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Samurais picture is where I am getting current. All the way to that terminal.

There are no burned wires.
There are no burned connections.
The light marked "240 volts" is on, on my meter.

I am NOT getting current at all to the start switch on the front control panel. The start switch has a black wire on one end and a white wire on the other. When you push the start button you are making the black wire connect via a strip of copper to the white wire. It looks just like the old points on an old alternator for a truck. That "point" is black and the clear plastic box around the entire switch is clean EXCEPT around the white wire where the "point" is making contact. It has a smoked look to it.

I want to thank you all who have taken the time to help me. I would love to fix this myself.

Best
Frosty.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

... I don't know your MODEL NUMBER

and possibly a picture of that Start Switch ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics