Kenmore Dryer and lots of SPARKS!
Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:53 AM
This morning when my wife pushed the button to start our Kenmore Dryer (solid state) sparks shot out of the back. Quite the show I was told 4th of July almost. A loud noise also erupted from the dryer. Now, even with it plugged up it will not even start almost as if it was dead.
I have pulled off the back panel and all the wires seem to be just fine / nothing is burned out. I pulled the back panel off the switch and timer controls and nothing is burned. The only thing that looked like it was burned was the start switch inside the clear box where the contact points are. The wires that connect to the start switch are just fine.
Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:04 PM
Help Me !!!!
Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:30 PM
burn mark on the housing and opposite on the hose it self.
Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:48 AM
I am wondering if the it has burned out the the start switch. The problem with that theory is that when I plug in the dryer and try to test for current nothing is getting any current at all. I maybe doing it wrong....I really do not know. Is there a way to bypass something and try to get the dryer going or is that a big No, No?
Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:52 AM
DIYers: Save time and money by learning the secrets of appliance repair... Click Here!
Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:08 AM
Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:42 PM
Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:21 PM
There are no burned wires.
There are no burned connections.
The light marked "240 volts" is on, on my meter.
I am NOT getting current at all to the start switch on the front control panel. The start switch has a black wire on one end and a white wire on the other. When you push the start button you are making the black wire connect via a strip of copper to the white wire. It looks just like the old points on an old alternator for a truck. That "point" is black and the clear plastic box around the entire switch is clean EXCEPT around the white wire where the "point" is making contact. It has a smoked look to it.
I want to thank you all who have taken the time to help me. I would love to fix this myself.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users