Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Tipped Kenmore 110 washer on its back: gear oil puddle. Help?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_tscheezy_*

Lurker_tscheezy_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:26 AM

My Kenmore direct-drive spider interface thing went biff on my 110 (Model 82983810). I did not know the correct way to get into the washer, so I tipped the unit on its back and got to the motor and coupling etc via the bottom.

It took a week to get the direct drive spider parts, and after installing it and putting the thing back together, I stood the unit back up and noticed a puddle of oil on the floor. Further searching on the 'net turned up the correct way to open the unit up (duh), and I traced the gear oil leak to the very small vent hole on top of the gear case.

My question is, if I lost about 3 tablespoons worth of gear oil, do I have to fill it back up? How much oil is in the gear case? If is is a gear bath system, can I lose that much oil and still be fine (I'm pretty confident there is still a lot of oil in there)? It only came out the vent hole which is in the center of the top of the gear case, so it seems like all the oil which puddled inside the gear case below the vent is still in there doing its job. The gear case is not leaking out any seals, so the unit still seems fine.

Any insights? Is there a handy srew you add additional oil through?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

Tscheezy,  I think you'll be alright.   The oil came from the weep hole as you described.  I've seen worse cases where there is more than 3 tea spoons underneith and the thing is still running.  If you have no other malfunctions with this washer,  you should be in good shape.  If the gearcase fails in the future,  you can pick one up at this site for a reasonable cost.   Hell man,   I once ran a 283,  64 Chevelle 60,000. miles without an oil change in the engine or tranny..never had a problem...Ron

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

Ron's right, don't worry about an oil loss of such a small amount.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Lurker_tscheezy_*

Lurker_tscheezy_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

Very cool, thanks for the encouraging words. I figured since it is a gear-bath system with a reasonable volume of fluid, losing a fraction of it could not be catastrophic.

Laundry tonight! :)

#5 Lurker_olmo47_*

Lurker_olmo47_*

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:31 PM

Ron sorry I have a question (I am a newbe) I was wondering if or whare can I find print out instructions for the "Kenmore Model 110 82980110" ? can you direct me our on the web? it quit working not sure what to do or what it is wrong? Help please
olmo47@gmail.com

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

Even though this is a Whirlpool washer it has the Kenmore name on it, no manuals out there for Kenmore, what problem are you having with this washer....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics