Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite dryer narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Kenmore Elite (fancy LED displays and push panel "switches" dryer, model 110.60092991, periodically goes to sleep.  Pushing any of the control buttons does/displays nothing.  Occasionally, if I press "Start" first (sometimes two times) then press the select button it will light up and let me finish the setup; then with "Start" it works fine. 

It goes into this mode from time to time and it lasts from a couple of days to a month or two (so far...).  Power feed is O.K. (drum lamp comes on.)  Does this mean the whole circuit board is kaput?  Or might it be a faulty push-panel switch contact? Or maybe a loose low voltage feed, or some such?  Or what might be the problem?

Thanks. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*

Lurker_Pegi at Sams_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:14 PM

Tech sheet.....;)

#3 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

Wow!  Thanks, Pegi at Sams.  :D  I'll check it out.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

You are quite welcome...sorry about the two names, having to post two different ways here from the house.......:P
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 john_1

john_1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

i am having the exact same problem with my dryer. sometimes i can hear it beeping non stop, other times the display is dead. The dead spots last from a few minutes, to a few days. Amazing. I am glad to hear i am not the only one with the problem, and the tech sheets should help me fix it...thank you so much:):):):):)

#6 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:29 AM

I took it (the electronics area) apart and preformed the LED tests with a multimeter and did some voltage tests on the circuit board after back engineering a partial schematic.  The latter is not easy as all contacts are lacquered over, and it was very sparse, but the readings I did take seemed O.K. (I'm an electronics hobbyist, so the little that I did is probably accurate.)  The Leds tested O.K except 1 or 2 anamolies where the LED(s) tested O.K. in the reverse direction :shock:.

It still doesn't work and I have to guess whether the circuit board or the display is bad so I don't end up buying both parts unnecessarily (??) at probably ~$150 +/- apiece.  I'm leaning toward the circuit board.

But, it kinda works.  When I plug in the power at the wall it clicks and randomly comes on, sometimes with heat (at different settings), sometimes without heat.  An odd array of ther little LEDs on the right side come on, but none of the LED display actually works.  When I get a lucky plug-in, I leave it and turn the dryer "on and off" with the loading door.  'course I have to manually keep and guess at the timing.

Anybody have any more clues.  The tech sheets were a big help, though a schematic would have been nice, but not expected.  :?

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:43 AM

The wiring diagram is in the tech sheet....if it is too small to see the tech sheet will be located inside of our unit somewhere also..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:49 AM

Also bear in mind that if you buy through the link at the top of the page, you can return anything for a full refund less shipping. My experience is that generally, the board is the problem.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#9 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the continued help, Pegi.  But I was referring to the schematic not the layout diagram of the circuit board, nor the basic wiring connections of the dryer.

#10 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

Mad Mac, the circuit board would have been my guess.  Though I'm surprised; non-mechanical electronic stuff should be more robust and reliable.....

#11 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

[user=4192]rwbrick[/user] wrote:

non-mechanical electronic stuff should be more robust and reliable.....

:laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo:

Nothing personal, you understand. Much more grief with the electronics than anything else.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#12 rwbrick

rwbrick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

Mad Mac,  no offense 'cause you are correct.  Problem is it need not be.  Other than electro-mechanical components, relays e.g., pure solid state electronics have the capability to be almost fail-proof.  Problem is the manufacturers "have" to save a half-penny on each 5-cent capacitor and a couple of pennies on each 59-cent integrated circuit -- maybe saving 15 cents or so on each mass produced circuit board that could be, and ought to be especially in a hostile environment like a clothes dryer, otherwise virtually error free. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics