Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermal fuse

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gairz

gairz

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

ahhhh, a fresh forum.. good to see.. I'll bookmark this..
got my brewski.. now on to the ??
dryer won't run. simple. checked continuity on starter switch, door switch, 3 thermostats. All good. checked the continuity on the thermal fuse. read 8 ohms.. is this within the good range or is this fuse bad? all I've read on 'other' sites is if it continous it's good, if not it's bad. why does the ohmmeter confuse me? why? whyyyyyy??
life is good. especially when yer working on @$!@$ appliances. :D

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,397 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

I feel your pain, m'main vein. Let's see if'n we can fanger this bad boy out.

I rectum I'd be surprised if eight ohms in your thermal fuse would be enough to stop the dryer from running. This is a case of what we professional appliantologists call "Delicious Ambiguity." In this situation, maximum information has been extracted from dead tests (testing continuity w/ no power applied to circuit) and it's time to turn to live tests. This is where we're working on a live circuit and tracing the voltage through the circuit. With dryer plugged in and start buttion pressed, check voltage on each side of the thermal fuse wrt ground.

Post your dryer brand and model number and we might be able to dig up a diagram or two.

#3 gairz

gairz

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

10 fir.. I got diagrams though.. off the Sears sight..
here's the model number..
68712894 Kenmore
I should probably stop drinking if I'm going live eh? naaahhhh it only hurts for a second or 4..

#4 gairz

gairz

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

I got 120 across the fuse without start button pushed in.. I've since reread your post (must be the brewski's) and checked it again with the button pressed. here's the results. on one post I have 120v. On the other 0. Here's my story.. wifey tells me dryer won't work again. about a month ago I had to clean out the lint shoot cuz it overheated.. no prob. put'er back together and fired'er up. worked fine til yesterday.. got home from work, tried to fire it up. no fire.. checked breaker, checked voltage on outlet, wire is good.. started troubleshooting with switches after work today.. and here I am..

#5 XNSXMANNY

XNSXMANNY

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

if you put thr meter prob to one side of the fuse with with the start pushed in and the other probe to a ground and get 120v and do the same to the other side and get 0v then your fuse is no good. retest the ohms on the fuse with one of the wires disconnected from it

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:40 AM

I think you can delete your own posts, Manny.  If not, let me know and I'll clean it up.

Gairz, once you sober up, report back on the test Manny told you to do, which was the same one I tried to get you to do but must not have explained it well.  If the thermal fuse checks good, then we're gonna feast our bloodshot squinties on the motor.

#7 gairz

gairz

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:21 AM

Manny spelled it out correctly.. I pushed the start button. put one probe to Post 'A' and the other to ground. meter read 120v. put one probe to Post 'B' and the other to ground. meter Read 0v. so that's it? get a new fuse and cranker up? too cool for school.
amazing site.. get an answer overnight.. will tell friends about this site.
thanks guys! :cool:
btw, tried the continuity check again with one wire unhooked. read to INFINITY!! great!.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

Whupped that puppy!

tried the continuity check again with one wire unhooked. read to INFINITY!!

THAT'S why you read 8 ohms-- you were reading back through the circuit.  D'OH! 

For other grasshoppers reading this thread, read this primer on making basic electrical measurements before you start using your meter otherwise you're likely to get nonsensical results.

#9 gairz

gairz

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

musta been the brewski's :D
that's another topic. don't drink while trying to solve a puzzle. :cool:
thanks again!
hop hop

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:04 AM

Glad to help!  :dude:

#11 XNSXMANNY

XNSXMANNY

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

samurai it allows me to edit my text but not delete a post, oh well i guess i gotta be sober to play with this comp then so i dont double post again;)

gairz good to see that the problem was solved on your dryer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics