Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
gairz

Thermal fuse

11 posts in this topic

ahhhh, a fresh forum.. good to see.. I'll bookmark this..

got my brewski.. now on to the ??

dryer won't run. simple. checked continuity on starter switch, door switch, 3 thermostats. All good. checked the continuity on the thermal fuse. read 8 ohms.. is this within the good range or is this fuse bad? all I've read on 'other' sites is if it continous it's good, if not it's bad. why does the ohmmeter confuse me? why? whyyyyyy??

life is good. especially when yer working on @$!@$ appliances. :D

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I feel your pain, m'main vein. Let's see if'n we can fanger this bad boy out.

I rectum I'd be surprised if eight ohms in your thermal fuse would be enough to stop the dryer from running. This is a case of what we professional appliantologists call "Delicious Ambiguity." In this situation, maximum information has been extracted from dead tests (testing continuity w/ no power applied to circuit) and it's time to turn to live tests. This is where we're working on a live circuit and tracing the voltage through the circuit. With dryer plugged in and start buttion pressed, check voltage on each side of the thermal fuse wrt ground.

Post your dryer brand and model number and we might be able to dig up a diagram or two.

10 fir.. I got diagrams though.. off the Sears sight..

here's the model number..

68712894 Kenmore

I should probably stop drinking if I'm going live eh? naaahhhh it only hurts for a second or 4..

I got 120 across the fuse without start button pushed in.. I've since reread your post (must be the brewski's) and checked it again with the button pressed. here's the results. on one post I have 120v. On the other 0. Here's my story.. wifey tells me dryer won't work again. about a month ago I had to clean out the lint shoot cuz it overheated.. no prob. put'er back together and fired'er up. worked fine til yesterday.. got home from work, tried to fire it up. no fire.. checked breaker, checked voltage on outlet, wire is good.. started troubleshooting with switches after work today.. and here I am..

if you put thr meter prob to one side of the fuse with with the start pushed in and the other probe to a ground and get 120v and do the same to the other side and get 0v then your fuse is no good. retest the ohms on the fuse with one of the wires disconnected from it

I think you can delete your own posts, Manny.  If not, let me know and I'll clean it up.

Gairz, once you sober up, report back on the test Manny told you to do, which was the same one I tried to get you to do but must not have explained it well.  If the thermal fuse checks good, then we're gonna feast our bloodshot squinties on the motor.

Manny spelled it out correctly.. I pushed the start button. put one probe to Post 'A' and the other to ground. meter read 120v. put one probe to Post 'B' and the other to ground. meter Read 0v. so that's it? get a new fuse and cranker up? too cool for school.

amazing site.. get an answer overnight.. will tell friends about this site.

thanks guys! :cool:

btw, tried the continuity check again with one wire unhooked. read to INFINITY!! great!.

Whupped that puppy!

tried the continuity check again with one wire unhooked. read to INFINITY!!

THAT'S why you read 8 ohms-- you were reading back through the circuit.  D'OH! 

For other grasshoppers reading this thread, read this primer on making basic electrical measurements before you start using your meter otherwise you're likely to get nonsensical results.

musta been the brewski's :D

that's another topic. don't drink while trying to solve a puzzle. :cool:

thanks again!

hop hop

Glad to help!  :dude:

samurai it allows me to edit my text but not delete a post, oh well i guess i gotta be sober to play with this comp then so i dont double post again;)

gairz good to see that the problem was solved on your dryer!