Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Arctica PSS25NGMDBB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ramja

ramja

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Murphys

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Did the required Google searches and found this to be a common problem and a recognized design/engineering flaw to the extent that GE has a $57 "Vegetable Drawer Insulation Kit" that is supposed to fix things. (I will spare you my rant on what a ridiculous rip-off this kit is - $57 for two pieces of formed styrofoam , a one foot foam hose and a few square inches of thin self adhesive foam sheeting!) Most of the kit is to insulate the water tank, its hose and the water filter. The foam sheeting is the only item that is supposed to actually moderate the cold air flow into the vegetable drawer. So we unload the refrigerator and I remove the plastic parts to get to the piece with the vents that need to be covered up. Turns out they already had metallic tape on the inside closing off the vents - probably a mid-production attempt at a fix. Sent the kit back.

However I am left with the too low temp in the drawers. The main damper and fan assembly (which has been replaced twice, first by a GE repairman, then by me) seem to be OK because the main compartment temp correctly hovers around 37 where it is set. The bottom "Custom Cool Drawer" is set to the 43 degree setting, but it is staying in the 33 - 38 degree range with overnight dips to 32.

Is there a temp sensor that controls the fan at the back of the bottom drawer that might be involved in this problem?

Other sensors or anything else I should be investigating?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

could have a bad thermistor in the custome cool compartment

It can be tested if you have a muiti meter.

Thermistor LInk

Posted Image
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

If you have the old style thermistors, replace it. May still be bad even if they're the new ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 ramja

ramja

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Well - still trying to resolve this. Was on vacation for a couple of weeks and the lightly loaded drawers stayed in the 30-36 degree range. I have new thermisters on hand and was going to replace them today. However, based on several days of monitoring drawer temps with an old fashioned thermometer I am beginning to suspect an air damper or motherboard problem. Decided to run the self-diagnostics before replacing the thermisters. Took off the top light cover and removed lights - simultaneously pressed the four temp control membrane buttons and nothing happens. Repeated several times and could not get self diagnostics to start. The service manual ( http://appliance911s.../PSS26MSRSS.pdf ) says you need to set both FZ and FF to 5 before the 4 finger salute. However, that is for the single digit (1-9) temp control board. I assume I have the 3 digit model (see attachment). There are no instructions in the manual regarding an initial state for the 3 digit models.

Should FZ and FF be set to something specific before pressing all four buttons?

If not, any ideas on why self-diagnostics is not starting?

(BTW - that 38 Custom Cool drawer consistently reads 4-6 degrees high - thermometer reading was 34 when pic taken.)

Attached Files

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

may be the same diagnostics as this model:
Diagnostic pages 31-9118 Artica SxS Dual Evap w Electronic Touch.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 ramja

ramja

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Regus - it is that type of control panel. And appl.tech.29501, your comment about a bad thermister in the Custom Cool system is probably right on. At times the electronic CC temp 6 - 8 degrees warmer than a real thermometer in the CC drawer. I did the full set of self-diagnostics and everything passed, including the 5 thermisters - but I'm thinking the thermister test is more of an "are you alive test" not an "are you accurate" test.

Anyone having these symptoms who has the Custom Cool system (but no Turbo Cool FF evaporator) really must get the GE Custom Cool Manual 31-9075 at www.geservicenet.com/cc/prodtrng/Docs/11/31-9075.pdf
I realize the problem is either the thermister or one of the two different dampers in that compartment. (Or thermister AND one or both of the dampers.) The heater strip seems OK because the Quick Thaw feature brings the drawer from below 30 to above 40 in 10 - 15 minutes or less. Can I draw any conclusion about the health of the single damper unit from this? Are the CC dampers high-fail-rate parts like the upper damper?

When I do the disassembly to replace the CC thermister is there any way to test the damper functioning? From the drawings those dampers appear to be more robust than the problematic upper damper, but if there are no obvious crooked or broken damper doors how can I test them? I plan on having replacement dampers on hand, but I would really like to avoid installing them if the current ones are OK and the thermister is the only problem.

#7 ramja

ramja

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:43 AM

Tore into the Custom Cool unit yesterday - turned out to be broken dampers. The dual damper controlling flow to the freezer had BOTH doors broken. The motor shaft has a flat face that split the plastic slot in the door. I assume the motor shaft puts pressure on the door for a tight seal and simply cracks the slot in the door over time. Both doors were broken at that shaft connection point and were stuck half-way open. I examined the single-door damper behind the fan and it had an obvious crack, but was not yet completely broken - replaced it too. Temps are all good now.

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

Maybe This:

http://www.repaircli...ber=wr17x11508
wr17x11508
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics