Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Cruisair Heat Pump WJAH12

jb8103

Compressor was kicking out after 3 or 4 seconds. Gauges showed 100 lbs both sides at 75 degrees. R22 system, takes 1 lb 5 oz. Water-cooled condenser. This morning I recovered 6.4 oz, pumping down to zero but not into a vacuum. No liquid at all through sight glass. Weighed in proper charge.

Compressor still kicking out after 3 or 4 seconds. I have no schematics as of yet, the installation manual just has drawings showing where to plug in to thermostat and AC power. It's a 120 VAC system.

Boat has two of these things, the other one is running but icing up at the receiver.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what you describe I doubt the compressor is actually running.It is probably not starting. What you are describing is a compressor shutting down on internal thermal overload in a locked rotor condition.

Here are couple of things to check for.

#1 check all wiring to compressor for damage( like burnt connections at the compressor itself) . check contact points of compressor contactor or relay for high resistance indicating bad contacts.

#2 check start (or PTC device(resistance)) and run capacitors for correct values with capacitor tester

# 3 verify locked rotor condition by taking an amp reading while compressor is trying to start. Not sure what locked rotor is on a small compressor like this but I would guess 20 to 30 amps.

If all wiring and start / run componets are ok that leaves locked compressor. Very likely if compressor was running on a low refrigerant for an extended time.

valid model number

WJAH12 c.1988

I can't find any service info. . .

From what you describe I doubt the compressor is actually running.It is probably not starting. What you are describing is a compressor shutting down on internal thermal overload in a locked rotor condition.

Here are couple of things to check for.

#1 check all wiring to compressor for damage( like burnt connections at the compressor itself) . check contact points of compressor contactor or relay for high resistance indicating bad contacts.

#2 check start (or PTC device(resistance)) and run capacitors for correct values with capacitor tester

# 3 verify locked rotor condition by taking an amp reading while compressor is trying to start. Not sure what locked rotor is on a small compressor like this but I would guess 20 to 30 amps.

If all wiring and start / run componets are ok that leaves locked compressor. Very likely if compressor was running on a low refrigerant for an extended time.

Low refrigerant also meaning low oil? I will double check all points tomorrow, owner is using the boat right now.

Now that is obsolete when there is only 2 references to a unit on the whole internet...................

The link I posted has a lot of good info in it that very likely applies to the model you have. this type of system does not change much over the years. Especially in regards to charging the system.

Low refrigerant also meaning low oil?

Not always. Even the worst refrigerant leaks rarely let enough oil get away to cause a problem.

The issue is with a constantly overheated compressor. No cool gas to cool the compressor for an extended time ( like weeks to months) often results in some sort of compressor failure.

Now in regards to your other unit with icing at the receiver..... That could be an indication of low charge as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the evaporator coil and blower wheel for excessive dirt buildup.

Archived