Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Dehumidifier AD75UST0 Wiring Question

Jerseyfix

This post is my introduction and also first question. I've been searching for a site like this to try to figure out what is wrong with my dehumidifier. I'm fairly green when it comes to appliance repair but thought I'd see if this thing is worth fixing before buying another one. It's about 5 1/2 years old so it's old enough to be out of warranty. From what I've read on the interne tit sounds like it probably the compressor or some part related to it and I know if it's the compressor then I'll just buy a new dehumidifier. This replaces a Sears that didn't last much long. And the Sears replaced one my mother in law gave us that she used to use;I think it was about 20 years old. I swear these machines are now disposable!

The unit runs;fan runs but there is no water being collected.I checked the overload protector on the compressor for continuity and it's fine. How exactly do I check the compressor? I'm going by an old time life appliance book and it is very rudimentary in details.

Thanks for any help.:thanks:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Usually you can tell if the compressor is running by sound. Turn the humidistat to the highest (most humid) setting. If the compressor is running, you should hear it shut off and the running noise for the unit should be different. Wait a few minutes and turn the humidistat back to the dryest setting. Should hear thew compressor kick in.

If the compressor is running and no water, then the sealed system is toast == new dehumidifier.

OK Ran the diagnostics per the repair manual and not sure what to think.

First of all the controls on my unit are different than those in the service manual;whirlpool calls them type 4.Fan control settings are Auto,Turbo,and Normal. Humidity controls are Continuous Run, Max Dry,Dry and Normal. So I'm not sure how to translate the results I got.

Anyway here's what the test showed.For the thermistor the "turbo" light stayed on solid, for the humidistat the Normal light was solid and for the high speed fan the Auto light stayed on solid.When I proceed to test the low fan speed the empty bucket light stays on and that's the end of the testing.Could not advance to the compressor test.

Any advice is appreciated.Thanks :thanks:

At this point stick to the basics. check for power at the compressor...may have to monitor for a few min.

... Could not advance to the compressor test.

It was probably doing the Compressor test, but because the Compressor circuit probably doesn't work for some reason.

Does the Compressor run at all during normal operation ?

Some basic tests would need to be done on the Compressor.

I think the compressor is running. When I place my hand on it wit the unit running, I can feel some movement/vibration inside.From that can I assume it works? Could it run and maybe have a refrigerant leak or if there was leak would it not run at all? What sort of basic tests do I run?

In my first post I said I checked the overload protector and it was fine.I think I was wrong. I now recall I placed the meter on the 3 terminals on the compressor and the meter showed continuity. Guess I better go back and actually check the overload protector. I'll see what that shows. As I first mentioned I am a novice at this. Advice is once again appreciated

:thanks:

It was probably doing the Compressor test, but because the Compressor circuit probably doesn't work for some reason.

Does the Compressor run at all during normal operation ?

Some basic tests would need to be done on the Compressor.

I think the compressor is running. When I place my hand on it wit the unit running, I can feel some movement/vibration inside.From that can I assume it works? Could it run and maybe have a refrigerant leak or if there was leak would it not run at all? What sort of basic tests do I run?Thanks :thanks:

How exactly would I do that? Tell me if I check out the overload protector and compressor correctly. I placed my meter across the three terminals for both compressor and the op and meter shows continuity. Not sure what to do nextThanks :thanks:

I posted a question a a couple of weeks ago about my whirlpool dehumidifier not removing moisture. I received some useful hints including a service manual post. Well since then I discovered the unit is not as old as I thought and the refrigeration system is still under warranty! Boy do I feel foolish! I have a service guy coming out this week but I would like to reattach the wires before he comes over.

My question regard the wires from the start capacitor and the overload protector. I have a wiring diagram but I am am really a rookie with this stuff and don't want to make things worse. First the capacitor. There is a white wire from the control panel that connects to the upper leftmost terminal on the capacitor..Is that correct? Then there is another white wire from the capacitor feeding from the upper right terminal but I am not sure which terminal on the OP it connects to. Is it the second(from the left) terminal? Then the bottom terminal on the capacitor has a yellow wire.does that go the rightmost terminal on the OP? This would be the solitary terminal on the OP. Hope this makes sense.

Any adicve on this is appreciated so I could put this topic to bed and be done with this unit.

thanks

Got the wiring figured out. I'm giving up on this machine. Can someone recommend a decent dehumidifier brand? Seems like all of them are junk.

wiring diagrams and some service info is available for Whirlpool, Frigidaire, and LG

Some Kenmores (by model number) are made by those manufacturers and others.

Best bet may be to get one without digital controls.

For service info, check here with model number before purchase.

Archived