Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag mfd2561hes fridge and freezer not cooling and compress fan not running

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 colt

colt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

I changed my Maytag mfd2561HES fridge relay 6 months ago with a 3 in 1. It worked great for 5 months. Now the fan near the compressor is not running and the compressor is cool to the touch. The refrigerator is still humming and I am assuming that is the internal fan. The refrigerator is holding at 55 and the freezer is holding at 38.

Last time the the fan was working just fine now its not. Is replacing that fan the only problem or is there more to it?

I am assuming replacing the 3 in 1 isn't the answer.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

I changed my Maytag mfd2561HES fridge relay 6 months ago with a 3 in 1.

What was the reason for installing the 3 in 1 ?
If it was because of a Compressor Start / Run problem that a normal Start Relay wouldn't fix,
may now have a bad Compressor that also took out the Controller Board.
You could try applying 120v (L1) to the Blue wire of the Compressor or it's Fan

Service Test Mode:
The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad.
Enter the Service Test Mode by performing the following sequence of events.
1. Open the Fresh Food door and press and hold the Door Alarm keypad DoorAlarm .
2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature UP keypad .
3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad DoorAlarm and wait 3 seconds.
4. Press the Refrigerator UP Keypad again.
5. Display will show 001 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.
6. Press Freezer Up keypad and Freezer Down keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

Service Test – 101 Defrost Heater & Defrost Circuit
• Press the Refrigerator Up keypad and Refrigerator Down keypad to energize or de-energize the Defrost circuit.
The display will read OFF when de-energized OP when energized with open defrost thermostat and CL when energized with closed defrost thermostat.

Service Test – 102 Compressor / Condenser Fan
• Press the Refrigerator Up keypad and Refrigerator Down keypad to toggle Compressor/Condenser fan On and Off.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 colt

colt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

I dont have a background in any of this. Last time i was told to do a continuity check on the Compressor and it was fine so I was told to change the overload relay switch and that using the 3 in 1 was easiest and cheapest. It fixed the problem.

Now I am trying to remember how I did the continuity check.

Also last time the fan in the back next to the compressor was running. This time it is not. Does the fan running or not help in diagnosing the problem.

On the 101 Test it said OFF. I didn't know what setting to turn it to.

I did the service test from last email. On the 102 test it said OFF. When i turned it to ON it sounded like something turned on but turned off by the time i got to the back again so not sure what that sound was.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

... by the time i got to the back again so not sure what that sound was.

...was the Fan still running ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 colt

colt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

No the fan was not running. I had the back off already so it didn't take me long to get there.

Not sure if this means anything but, there is still semi cool air going into the fridge and freezer. the fridge has gone up from 55 to 58 from yesterday last day. The freezer is up from 32 to 42 from yesterday to today,

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to enter service test mode in a Maytag refrigerator with electronic controls

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 23 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Service Test Mode:
The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad.
Enter the Service Test Mode by performing the following sequence of events.
1. Open the Fresh Food door and press and hold the...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics