Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
natratreid

GE Refrigerator PSC23SGRC making clicking noise and water dispenser only shoots short streams

5 posts in this topic

It started a few months ago when the ice dispenser would sporadically not dispense from the door. If I pulled out the ice drawer and put it back it, somehow it would work again.

A few weeks ago it started clicking and making a whirling sound. At the same time all the digital read-outs disappeared (like the temperature) all I see is a flashing "hours" in the "Custom Cool" box. Most times, if I opened the door and shut it back it would reset and the clicking would stop. Today, no such luck. All it's doing is clicking and I think it's not cooling now, plus the water dispenser just shoots out short bursts of water, not a steady stream.

I took the back panel off to try and locate the clicking, but have no clue what to look for. I've attached a picture. The yellow box is hot to the touch where other parts back there aren't. I don't know if that's important. Please help!!!

GE Profile Model PSC23SGRC

post-62183-0-79641800-1308853574_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Where are you hearing the clicking and whirling noise? From the dispenser? In back at the muthaboard in your photo?

The thing with the yellow label is a transformer and they can get hot.

Does the light brightness fluctuate when you try to use the dispenser?

post YouTube video ?

Check for 120vac from J7-4 to J7-9 on the muthaboard to verify that the door switch hasn't failed or there's a wiring problem.

If the door switch checks out, replace the muthaboard. Part link==> Control Board

I'm pretty sure I see bulging ends on the two smaller capacitors just to the right of the transformer in the above picture, (I believe those are the power supply capacitors). I've replaced those two on a few GE motherboards to repair very similar problems that are being described here.