Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

DurhamAppliance

Clogged drain line Kenmore fridge 25379232705

9 posts in this topic

Got a call to repair Kenmore fridge. Water leaking from freezer into fridge. Simple fix...least that's what I thought. Removed controls in fridge to access the drain tube. I've fought some tough clogs before but this one is testing my patience. Tried steaming it, shot lots of boiling water into it using a pump sprayer, and tried forcing it open with wire. I can't get more than an inch or two in the tube. Tenant said problem existed as long as she's been renting...6 months. I'm thinking this is an extreme freeze or a defective tube. Called landlord and asked if previous tenants had same problem...no help...when he bought the fridge, he evicted that tenant within a few weeks of purchase. The tub drain runs through the fridge wall and exits directly in the middle under fridge, so accessing it from below is a bit problematic. BTW the drain pan looks as if it never had water in it. Not sure if I can just pull the tube directly out, didn't want to try before checking to see if it is a serviceable part. No luck, cannot find drain tube on any site. However, I read on an earlier post on this site that some Frigidaires (and I believe this is a Frigidaire made Kenmore) had a problem with expanding foam clogging lines and that the remedy was to create another drain line and run it on the outside back of the fridge. Seems a bit extreme for a clogged line. Any advice? I refuse to be defeated by a standard, non-computerized sufficiently cooling fridge! :wallbash:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You be needin' the external drain kit:

01254614.jpg

Comes with destructions, too.

Yes, Kenmore 253. is made by Frigidaire.

A blog at Sears said some Frigidaires had a problem with the foam insulation expanding and collapsing the Drain Line.

The external Drain Kit 5303918261 is a Frigidaire part number

if no one has told you "you be the man," I'm here to tell ya, you be the man! Or "men"!

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Well, that was fun.

Get any purdy pitchers?

I should have taken pictures 'cause I think the instructions, although in english, were written by Chaucer and illustrated by Dali.

yeah i've done a few of those....customers really like watching you drill a hole through their frige lol.

It's certainly something that could use a practice run or two. Trying to decipher unintelligible instructions while holding a large humming Dewalt drill with a menacingly whirring spade bit, doesn't seem to inspire much confidence in an already nervous customer.

I felt like a dentist sporadically reading an illegible copy of "Dentistry for Dummies," while performing my first root canal on a child with the parent unable to do anything but watch. But hey, no worries.... trust me, I'm an expert.

2002-01-18.gif