Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana ALE866SAW electric dryer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne02

Wayne02

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Our beloved Amana commercial super capacity craigslist special may be down for the count. We have had this machine for many years and it has been a workhorse, paid $35 for it off CL. I've replaced the drum felt seals at least once, and repaired something else on it years ago (can't remember).

A family member recently severely overloaded the dryer and it started making an intermittent screeching noise after that. We are talking an ear splitting screaming sound, and the drum has a lot of movement up and down. I figured maybe drum felt seal or wear glides but upon disassembly I found:

- belt was fine and seemed to have good tension

- rear drum support wheels still moving freely and little or no play

- rear drum felt seal perfectly intact with very little wear

- front drum felt seal intact save for right at the top where it was worn through and split

- glides in good shape (note, there were two glide strips on each side and one side appeared to be shimmed up with a piece of felt under the two glides. Is it normal to have two glides stacked on top of each other like that?

- idler pulley was turning but not freely, it was bound up

I took everything out of the cabinet save for the electric motor and the blower/lint trap system (under the door on this model). I then ran the electric motor with no load and the screeching is coming from the motor itself. The noise is not as consistent as it is when there is a load on the motor, but definitely there even with no load.

It looks like an electric motor can be purchased but I'm just wondering about putting that kind of money into such an old unit. Can the electric motor be rebuilt or repaired?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

<<<Can the electric motor be rebuilt or repaired?>>>

No.

The MOTOR can be replaced (somewhat expensive though). On the plus side---you are *familiar* with this dryer & capable of self-servicing it.

Home Depot has an Admiral-brand dryer that is fairly inexpensive and a very common design (easy to service).
Admiral dryers are simply rebadged/relabeled Whirlpool dryers (built by Whirlpool).

<<glides in good shape (note, there were two glide strips on each side and one side appeared to be shimmed up with a piece of felt under the two glides. Is it normal to have two glides stacked on top of each other like that?>>

The FRONT DRUM GLIDES normally have a single *glide* with a single small *felt* underneath.

Edited by john63, 24 June 2011 - 06:34 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

The FRONT DRUM GLIDES normally have a single *glide* with a single small *felt* underneath.

Some did come from the factory with two glides stacked on top of the felt pad. I don't know if maybe they were a thinner glide or what but with the new glides trying to stack two on top of the felt really pinches the felt seal at the bottom and leaves a major gap at the top.

If you replace them just replace with a single glide and if the glides haven't worn completely though you shouldn't have to replace the little felt pad under the glides, (just glue back in position if the pads are loose).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

<<<Some did come from the factory with two glides stacked on top of the felt pad.>>>

Dang! Now that you mentioned it---I do recall seeing that as well.

I just passed it off at the time----as perhaps an owner-installed (DIYer) mistake.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics