Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Sport Dryer WED8300SW1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

It all started when the thermal fuse cleared...

I cleaned out the vents, in the dryer and out to the roof, it worked for a few loads and cleared again. I've blown out everything (dryer, vents, outside vent, etc) but the dryer seems to be running hot and don't want to replace the thermal fuse again by running it until I fix the heat issue (if there is one).

Heater resistance test at 10 ohms, exhaust thermistor at 13 k ohms.

When on air only, I still get heat, but not much (heater coil does not glow). On super delicate, about 1/4 of heater glows, same with heavy. Should only a quarter of the heater glow? Just seems hot, maybe because the dryer is empty? Should I get any heat on the Air Only setting?

It may be ok, but I have replaced the thermal fuse three times and want to make sure everything else is ok before having to do it again (the person that designed its location should be beaten with his/her own shoes).

If it is the heater, how do I get it out? My model seems different than the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Should be no heat on the air only setting...remove that element and look for broken coil shorted to case or bra underwire shorting to case...
some of these new elements are a big pain in the ass to remove...seen a couple you had to remove the drum a take screws out that had sandwiched the element in...some simply slide out the front...gonna have to open it up and see.

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 25 June 2011 - 01:00 PM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Thanks! Any idea on how to get it out? Mine does not appear to slide out as I have read unless I am missing something which is very possible.

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

See edited post
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, already did and it looks like the drum has to come out which is what I was afraid of...

Thanks again for the help.

#6 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

Sorry if this is a duplicate, having issues posting at the moment...

I took the entire dryer apart to replace the heater coil. Turns out the duct that the heater is sandwiched in is only held in by a clip (or 2?) in the back where it connects to the duct leading to the drum.

Put everything back together, did some checks and the problem (or at least a problem) has been resolved. Old heater was shorting out.

While moving things around in the vast open space of the bottom of the dryer, I moved the heater duct and it came free from the back connection to the vent to the drum. Could anyone please tell me if there is a way or trick to put this back in without completely disassembling the dryer again, and is there supposed to be two clips?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Here's a disassembly video that may help:

#8 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

I am not seeing a link?

I did see the entire dryer disassembly video which was a very big help, just wondering if I have to go through it again to get the heater sandwich duct re installed, or can it be done using a simpler method. It seems that I should just be able to install this part without complete disassembly, I just can't seem to figure out how.

Thanks for the reply!

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

I am not seeing a link?

I didn't post a link, but you should see a video embedded in my last post.

#10 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Ok, thanks. I am not seeing it, may be blocked on this pc, I will check when I get home.

Thanks again!

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

If you're trying to get the duct back on then, yes, you'll need to tear down the dryer again. For future reference, the heating element can be replaced without having to tear down the dryer and without removing the canister/duct.

#12 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

Really? I can't see how, are there instructions anywhere, I could not find any. It is a clamshell canister that sandwiches the heater and has tabs/opeings, it has 4 screws that need to come out (in addition to the two sensors that are screwed on top and bottom of the clamshell) and the canister needs to be split to access the heater. To split the canister, it has to come out of the dryer, or at least half of it does. This model is different than the drawings I have seen where the heater can slide out. I am sure I am missing something, just can't figure out what! Thanks!

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

REMOVING THE HEATER

1. Turn off the gas to the dryer and disconnect the electrical power.
2. Remove the two hex-head screws from the bottom flange of the toe panel.
Pull the panel out at the bottom, pull down, and remove the panel.
3. Remove the hex-head screw from the heater shield and remove the shield.
4. To remove the heater:
a ) Remove the two wires from the terminal block.
b ) Remove the hex-head screw from the heater housing, and slide the heater out of the duct.
For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys. My setup must be different as the heater does not slide out. The heater shield is two halves and the heater element is sandwiched in the middle with tabs that go through the shield, so it does not slide. The two halves have 4 screws holding them together, as well as the brackets for the hi limit thermostat and thermal cut-off. I just thought there would be an easier way to put the shield/heater back in without complete dis assembly.

The bracket or clip in the back seems to need to rotate in and I can't get enough angle to do so. Guess I'll just take it apart again...

Here is an additional pic of the shield and how the heater is sandwiched in.

Attached Files

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Good pics!

You have the kind Sublime Master Kurtius was talking about, where the heater is sandwiched in the case. Dryer disassembly is the only option to replace the heater on these. Not that big a deal. Heck, you awwta be good at it by now! ;)

#16 dfc

dfc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, hopefully they can help someone. Off to disassemble, again...

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics